Betta Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi AA, im just a rookie when itcomes to breeding, ive only bred livebearers. However, i want to give betta breeding a go... I just bought a 10 gallon, with filtration system, heater, light, surface exposure, and fake plants. Im told breeding bettas is a challenge, and i shouldnt leave them together without dividing their side of the tank. Should i give it a go, or just quit it?

I dont want to sell them, i just thought itd be interesting for all my friends to use the bettas in their tanks... They have some great fish, but really wanted a betta for a show stopper... If notto breed, then howcan i keep them to coexist?

I've never tried to keep a male and female together. Doesn't sound like a very good idea though, from everything I've read and heard from people.

Would be cool to raise fish for everyone, but there is a ton of work and equipment involved, you'd be better just buying them some, although I would avoid giving fish to anyone as a present.

There are very few fish bettas get along with.
African Dwarf Frogs are one of them, but I don't think they eat normal flakes/pellets. Can't remember.
Make sure they are compatible before you buy any!

There are very few fish bettas get along with.
African Dwarf Frogs are one of them, but I don't think they eat normal flakes/pellets. Can't remember.
Make sure they are compatible before you buy any!
there are lots of fish thyat get along with bettas,as long as they dont look like bettas,are fin nippers,or will eat the betta,and like the same water as bettas,there fine.

there are lots of fish thyat get along with bettas,as long as they dont look like bettas,are fin nippers,or will eat the betta,and like the same water as bettas,there fine.

^ i agree

I breed Bettas years ago, I know you can't use a filter tank, as the male cares for the young in a bubble nest, as they break he places them in a new bubble until they are to big, then must be removed to their own separate containers. I floated my female in a jar, so they could flirt and he prepare the nest and she gets ready to mate. You must watch closely when you put them together because if she isn't ready he will kill her. When she is ready she will follow him to below the nest and he encircles her and squeezes the eggs from her and fertilizes them as the come out , he then leaves her to gather the eggs and places them in a bubble in the nest. Then back to her, when they are done, carefully remove the female to another tank. It was fun to watch the growing process and of all the babies I had 15 that grow to adulthood, 3 females the rest males. Good luck..

Back
Top Bottom