Betta breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I've never bred before, and I was just looking for starter tips and reliable websites to check out. My male hm has been blowing increasingly bigger bubble nests every week and a half or so, and while I don't currently have space for females/ breeding tanks, I would like to breed one or all of my males at some point after I move into my own space.

Hi I've never bred before, and I was just looking for starter tips and reliable websites to check out. My male hm has been blowing increasingly bigger bubble nests every week and a half or so, and while I don't currently have space for females/ breeding tanks, I would like to breed one or all of my males at some point after I move into my own space.
I'd suggest you read through the many threads on here about breeding bettas. #1 thing you need is a lot of tanks to do this. The spawning tank is best as a separate tank from where you keep your fish normally. Also, as Betta spawns can yield 100s of fry, you will need some decent sized tanks to raise them in. Add to that if your spawn yields many males, you will need to have enough space to separate them all or else you will have fish with ripped fins. Also, Betta fry are very fragile so they are not really the best fish to be your first spawning experience (IMO ;) ) There are much easier fish to "cut your teeth" with before tackling Bettas.

Hope this helps (y)

Wow hundreds I had no idea it was that many. Definitely very helpful, thank you!

check out bettafish.com there are tons of experienced betta breeders there and since it's devoted entirely to bettas, you'll be able to find out practically anything you could ever want about the breeding and raising of fry!

Bettafish,com is where I get alot of my info. Yes you need alot of space, time and bettas! I will have betta fry by Friday I hope. And that is the hardest part of the breeding as the fry are very delicate

Back
Top Bottom