Betta breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I'm Tony and I have a crowntail Betta named Shadow Tail. He is currently young and new but full of personality. I just got him 2 days ago from walmart and he's now in a 1.5gal. I saw that he was making some bubbles so I put a plastic cup in there and the next day found out that he had made a lit if bubbles almost filling the whole cup. My question is when should I put the female In and if I don't put a female in for a while can I put her in later on (like 2-3weeks)

He will need more than 1.5 gallons...when I did it a few years ago, I used a ten gallon...completely bare except for a few fake plants and a hiding spot for the female, as well as a sponge filter...I would add a female in a breeding cage, and tempt him for a few days with her...also before spawning keep them well fed on live foods

I have a 10gal but its full with guppies and well I might put my Betta in there but he is very aggressive and even fought against a Oscar and won...

Bad idea...IMO...bettas are very territorial when breeding! Given the fact that bettas are iffy with guppies before breeding...with breeding I bet your guppies would get shredded into teeny tiny bits...in most peoples opinions bettas should be kept in tanks bigger than 1.5 gallons anyway...

To be honest I would love to get a 5gal for my Betta but my parents said there us no place for me to put it and won't let me buy it. So I think that a 1.5gal is ok for him especially when compared to the little cup he came in...

Ya...parents are a tough card to play...just gotta make a strong argument :-/

Without capacity to raise the fry (extra tanks), why try to breed them? Hate to be a downer, but it's a bad idea IMO.

HN1 said:
Without capacity to raise the fry (extra tanks), why try to breed them? Hate to be a downer, but it's a bad idea IMO.

I agree...

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. And where would you keep the female? You don't keep them together forever, only to breed. So you would need another tank anyway. Why don't you just get a bigger tank with a filter that can be cycled for your male so that he can be healthy and happy? That way you won't have to do water changes every day. Just don't cycle the tank with the betta IN the tank, they don't take to that real well.

I have a 10gal but its full with guppies and well I might put my Betta in there but he is very aggressive and even fought against a Oscar and won...

You've only had him two days, got him at Walmart and have a 10 gal tank of guppies? Right? He fought an Oscar? Thats not cool. Where did the oscar come from? Even though Walmart doesn't really care for their fish well, I don't think they would keep one in a tank with an Oscar?:confused:

To be honest I would love to get a 5gal for my Betta but my parents said there us no place for me to put it and won't let me buy it. So I think that a 1.5gal is ok for him especially when compared to the little cup he came in...

Welllll..........:ermm:

BUt certainly not for breeding!

You will not get far with breeding in a 1 gallon at all. If your parents don't want any more tanks, what will they day when you have about 30 baby bettas? Sorry to be the downer, but it just doesn't seem like the best idea.

Last edited:
BettaTony said:

The common belief of keeping bettas in small tanks such as this is based on the fact that in the wild in dry seasons they have adapted to living in small puddles. I'm sorry to say your betta will not last very long in a tank of this size. Tell your parents this, maybe you can pick up a 5 gallon hex. and save yourself some room. I wish you luck!

Last edited:
I know but if i get baby the guppies gotta go...and my Betta is confident enough to eat right off my hand now

You'll need more than one 10 gal tank if you have babies. You need a tank for the female, a tank for the male and quite a few smaller containers to seperate ALL of the babies (if they survive).

Please stay away from breeding and try working on getting him that well deserved 5 gallon.

IMO it is completely outrageous and ridiculous to create more fish when you aren't giving proper homes to the ones you already have.

bettas have hundreds of fry, and on the longshot that they survive long enough, at some point the males will need to be separated.

I think its cool that you are interested in breeding but I strongly suggest you research it as much as you possibly can, google and google and google some more, and see what all this kind of process entails, that way you can see what you will need to do to make it successful.

Back
Top Bottom