Betta Breeding Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I've been keeping bettas since July, which is NOTHING compared to most people on the board. I started doing research the first day I had my first betta, and I know a whole lot. I've tried breeding bettas with diffrent fish every time, but it failed both times. I have a 5 gal tank, a half cup for the bubble nest, and the water at room temp. I put in my male on sunday and had the female in the jar with holes of an hour or so. I let the female out and when I came back later lat day, she was displaying her "stress stripes" and hiding in the corner. I immediatly took her out and put her back into my 10 gal with 2 other females. She didn't have any visable damage to her fins. So the next day I went down stairs and the male had made a beautiful bubble nest. So I decided to try again. I did the same process over aqain. I checked on them many times and they were chasing each other, ect. I left them together last night (Big mistake right?) And I checked on them a few minutes ago and her fins are torn a little. She is now in a 2 gal QT. What the heck am I doing wrong :!: :?:

happyhillbilly said:
What the heck am I doing wrong :!: :?:
Hi. Probably nothing. When they are BOTH ready and all the water, temp and food parameters are met - they WILL do the deed. My bettas usually breed when I do NOTHING to coax them. Just let nature take it's course and you will have betta fry. Be sure to have infusoria prepared for their first meal as anything else is just too darn big and the fry will die in 24 hours. YMMV. - Frank/Guppyman®

Thanks, but should I worry about fin shredding if I leave them toghether for too long?

IMO you shouldn't leave them alone, especially over night, just because every experience can be different and you don't want to end up losing a fish. Are the two bettas about the same size? In the research I did, they suggested breeding bettas that are the same age/size. Also, you don't want to expose the female too much with the male because it is very stressful on them. Give the female more than just a couple of days to recover even if she isn't hurt. Another way to prevent the stress but coax the male is to put the two fish in the same tank with a clear divider and let them flash at eachother, the male will build his nest, and then lift the divider out when you feel they are good and ready. I don't have any "hands on" experience with breeding bettas, but I have done a good bit or research because I am interested in it (and have been for a while). Good luck, and make sure you have plenty of holders for all the little males who will need to be serarated eventually. Oh, and keep us posted!!!

Bettas

Hi. All that's necessary is to provide excellent cover for the female until you feel it is time to remove her. I have never had a male kill a female in over 100 breeding attempts. Chew her up a bit - but they survive that fine. He's not looking to kill her - just to keep her away from the nest. Give her safe refuge and if the male is doing his job of guarding the nest and returning eggs that fall from the nest, he will soon forget all about the female. Research is great, but there are too many variables involved to try to adhere to a strict method. The disposition of the fish must be taken into account. Bettas were the first fish I ever bred and they hooked me into the hobby for life. YMMV. - Frank/Guppyman®

Have you researched breeding or just general care? If you havn't hear are some sites to read up on:
www.bettysplendens.com
www.ontariobetta.envy.nu/breeding.htm (my site)
www.bcbetta.com

Ok first off you need to heat the tank to 80-82 degrees, and your pair conditioned. You should leave the the female in the seperator for about a day, this gives them time to get to know each other better. It actually better not to seperate them overnight, as this ruins all the courtship they have done. And don't worry about shredded fins, thats normal! Fins can grow back :wink:

This is what i do (more info on my site) and I have pairs spawning within the day. I aslo find water quality has a big affect as well, the softer your water the better.

good luck!
ashley

Thanks so much guys. The bettas are the same size, not including the males fins. Yes, I have done loads of breeding research. Thanks again and I will probally try to breed them again on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom