Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question betta breeding issue

we have currently been attempting to breed bettas. we have taken all the right steps and the male and female go about doing all the right things but after the female drops her eggs and the male puts them in the nest it seems like over time the nest gets smaller and the eggs disappear like he eats them... any advice?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyh_102 View Post
we have currently been attempting to breed bettas. we have taken all the right steps and the male and female go about doing all the right things but after the female drops her eggs and the male puts them in the nest it seems like over time the nest gets smaller and the eggs disappear like he eats them... any advice?

A couple of things might be causing the shrinking nest. 1) If your tank is not covered, the lack of humidity will cause the bubbles to burst. 2) Once the male has the eggs in a spot, he may not be keeping the nest as big because it is not necessary anymore. (I've had males totally abandon the nest and put the eggs in single file along the edge of the tank so your situation may be nothing.)

As for the disappearing eggs, males will eat the unfertilized and dead eggs so yours may be a fertility issue. If the eggs don't hatch within 48 hours at 78-80 degrees, they probably won't and he is eating them.

This could also be a combination of all of the above. Make sure you are breeding at the right temp, in a closed/sealed aquarium, with good clean new water and see what happens.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I will give you my exact procedure I use for breeding Bettas.

Hope this helps...

Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

thank you so much i appreciate your advice ill try again using your tips

Tags
betta, betta breeding, breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com