Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Betta breeding questions

Totally new to betta breeding. I would like to give it a shot in the near future. Have been doing a little bit of research online but still have questions.
I have a mustard gas halfmoon male and a blue veiltail female. Are these compatible- if so, what kind of tails/colors would I expect to see on the fry?
They are living in my community tank- so have already been introduced to each other. I do have a 10 gallon that I would use for the breeding tank. Since they have already been living in my community (with no signs of breeding)- would they be okay for me to pop in the 10 gallon together for breeding? Or is that a disaster waiting to happen? They get along fine with each other now. Male will chase the female a tiny bit now and then but other than that they don't interact much.
Again, totally totally new and just have some questions before I think about getting started. Don't grill me too bad.

#72G
Platys, Tetras, Mollies, Bettas, BN Plecos
#Turtle Pond
Red Eared Slider
HannahJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I donít know much about betta breeding either but Iím also going to try it out in the next month or so, but I donít see why the bettas wouldnít do well in the ten gallon tank🤷🏼*♀️ I mean the female would have room to swim away from the male if needed and Iíve seen people breed bettas in literally like a one gallon tank and it worked well. Again I have never even tried to breed betta fish Iíve just been researching it a lot lately because I want to try it out.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #3

They are aggressive so you gonna need to split the males up afterwards.

Quote:
Can you keep two male bettas together?

Never put multiple males in the same tank; they will fight each other to the death. One male and one female betta can be put together for breeding purposes, but only for a brief amount of time as they will also begin fighting.
Are you prepared to go full out with a fry rack?!?
Old 05-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep definitely know males cant be together. I have my male and female living "together" in my community and so far its been fine. I did read once they've done their thing in the breeding tank I have to take the female out. I think I can pull it off.... Not ready for a full on fry rack but how cool!!!
#72G
Platys, Tetras, Mollies, Bettas, BN Plecos
#Turtle Pond
Red Eared Slider
HannahJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahJo View Post
but how cool!!!
That for sure

Tags
betta, betta breeding, breed, breeding, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com