Betta Bubble Nest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pattyfurg said:
Not too shabby XD
but my ones are bigger ^.^

Ahaha nice! Bu I think the "nest" looks depressing!! Ahaha I dont know aha can I see a pic o your beta? I'm curious:)

SHAZAM! lol that would be a half cup full of bubbles ^.^
I love my little baby

Attachments

• image-1848824203.jpg
    image-1848824203.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 87
Austin.b said:
Amazinggggg!!!! Aha love it!

Lol he did this in about 2 days lol
But I love your betta ^.^ iv never had luck with white bettas all together

cheeky_monkey said:
That's pretty awesome pattyfurg. How have you positioned the cup?

I just cut it in half and let it float lol

Austin.b said:
Hamburger or hot dog way? Aha n thanks!! I found this guy at my LFS and just had to get him haha

Uuuhhh? Half? Lol iv had to stop myself from buying bettas from my LFS D: but they're soooooo nice lol

Anyway haha are you planning on breeding or just happy your fishy is happy ^.^

Oh durr I for some reason thought the photo was on it's side. Silly me!
I'm interested to attempt to spawn some bettas shortly so thank-you for the idea!

pattyfurg said:
Uuuhhh? Half? Lol iv had to stop myself from buying bettas from my LFS D: but they're soooooo nice lol

Anyway haha are you planning on breeding or just happy your fishy is happy ^.^

Hahaha yeah I've been there :(I don't even look at the bettas anymore! Ahaha n I don't think I'm going to breed him but right now I'm trying to get him back to good health bec. Mostly all of his tail got cut off :'( he's regrowing his tail nicely, with a blue tint haha

Austin.b said:
Hahaha yeah I've been there :(I don't even look at the bettas anymore! Ahaha n I don't think I'm going to breed him but right now I'm trying to get him back to good health bec. Mostly all of his tail got cut off :'( he's regrowing his tail nicely, with a blue tint haha

Yeah the same thing happened to one if my bettas but it's more black and clear lol pretty cool ^.^

Betta nests

Do you guys think that this is a bubble nest? I'm so excited!! My betta has been much more aggressive, flailing his Gils at everyone! Haha whatdo you think?:)

View attachment 68600

View attachment 68602

View attachment 68603

That's definitely a nest.

When it comes to nests tho, just remember, it's not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean. lol
I've had Bettas make nests that were the size of a dime to almost covering an entire 2 1/2 gal tank. Size doesn't matter. What matters is how many viable eggs he puts in the nest. In one of my recent spawns, the male first put all the eggs in the nest then, once I removed the female, lined each egg up in a single line along the side of the tank without any other bubbles. The original nest was still in tact. Like I said, nest size doesn't matter.
Here's a hint for you styro cup breeders, I use a piece of fresh Romain lettuce for my males to make nests under. It stays in pretty good shape if you make sure you have both sides of the stalk. By the time the fry hatch and become free swimming, there is a dose of infusoria for the smaller babies to feed on while I start feeding Newly hatched brine shrimp. Works like a charm, every time. :D

Andy Sager said:
That's definitely a nest.

When it comes to nests tho, just remember, it's not the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean. lol
I've had Bettas make nests that were the size of a dime to almost covering an entire 2 1/2 gal tank. Size doesn't matter. What matters is how many viable eggs he puts in the nest. In one of my recent spawns, the male first put all the eggs in the nest then, once I removed the female, lined each egg up in a single line along the side of the tank without any other bubbles. The original nest was still in tact. Like I said, nest size doesn't matter.
Here's a hint for you styro cup breeders, I use a piece of fresh Romain lettuce for my males to make nests under. It stays in pretty good shape if you make sure you have both sides of the stalk. By the time the fry hatch and become free swimming, there is a dose of infusoria for the smaller babies to feed on while I start feeding Newly hatched brine shrimp. Works like a charm, every time. :D

Wow... The lettuce is the most awesome idea ever! Haha
But I'm not sure how old they have to be to be able to eat bbs. I know mine just became free swimming two days ago and they can't eat bbs yet :/

Yeah all of my bettas make bubble nest EXEPT for one... No matter how I keep him he will never build a bubble nest :/
Iv had him for about... 6 months?
NEVER! And he is one of my prettiest who I want to breed :/

Attachments

• image-2840305631.jpg
    image-2840305631.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 47
Baby brine

Wow... The lettuce is the most awesome idea ever! Haha
But I'm not sure how old they have to be to be able to eat bbs. I know mine just became free swimming two days ago and they can't eat bbs yet :/

Yes they can.
Here's my routine:
1 day after they become free swimming (you'll see them horizontal in the tank) I let them eat the infusoria and start a batch of shrimp eggs.

Day two of free swimming, they're fed BBS once per day. Realize that most of these babies are going to be eating 1 or 2 shrimp at this size so don't over feed.

Day seven through adulthood, I start feeding them 2x per day.

I've used this formula since the 1960s. It still works for me.

Andy Sager said:
Yes they can.
Here's my routine:
1 day after they become free swimming (you'll see them horizontal in the tank) I let them eat the infusoria and start a batch of shrimp eggs.

Day two of free swimming, they're fed BBS once per day. Realize that most of these babies are going to be eating 1 or 2 shrimp at this size so don't over feed.

Day seven through adulthood, I start feeding them 2x per day.

I've used this formula since the 1960s. It still works for me.

Yeah I fed them this morning with bbs and they're still there :/ so I just fed the liquid food for now and I cant trust my sister to feed them bbs tomorrow when I'm gone so I think I'll just stick with liquid fry food for about a week and then feed bbs

Doesn't matter

Yeah all of my bettas make bubble nest EXEPT for one... No matter how I keep him he will never build a bubble nest :/
Iv had him for about... 6 months?
NEVER! And he is one of my prettiest who I want to breed :/

Spawn him anyway! Not all males make nests until they have the eggs to put in them.
Set up your spawning tank with the female separated for her protection. The male should start displaying if he is interested in spawning. If you can see HER spawning colors, let her loose the next day and keep your eye on them. If they haven't spawned by the end of the day, put her back in protective custody and try again tomorrow. If she can hold her own against the male, put some hiding spots for her in the tank (I use PVC fittings) and leave her until they spawn. If that still doesn't work, Place a second male in a glass jar or something like that into the tank so that male #1 thinks there's competition. If that still doesn't work, remove male #1 and try a better feeding routine to get him into spawning shape.
This whole process shouldn't take more than 7 days. (My spawing record is 45 minutes after introduction.)
Works like a charm :D

Back
Top Bottom