Betta freaking out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moon1029

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a betta to my community tank (6 tetras, Otto, nerite snail mystery snail, ramshorn and 8 red cherry shrimp). The betta is "fluffing" out for no apparent reason..... It's not going at any of the snails (which I would expect it to "fluff" at). Is it maybe seeing its reflection and freaking out???? It's only been in about 45 minutes but I'm not sure if it is just getting acclimated or if it will calm down?

A male betta? I'm no expert but just from reading these forums I've reached the understanding that a male betta should be kept alone as they are aggressive. I hope someone can enlighten us both, I could be wrong. I think even female bettas are tetchy. They can be kept together if they were raised together from a young age. Not sure how that would transpose onto a community tank with other species though.

My betta always flares and tries to attack his own reflection so I know he would be too aggressive for a community tank. Mild-tempered bettas can sometimes be put into a community tank as long as the tankmates are larger and non-betta colors.

Surprisingly after 5 hours no one has been nipped or chased! I'm going to keep a watch on him for the next couple days.... I think he's just getting acclimated..... Hopefully!!!

Watch the cherry shrimp and other fish bettas will eat shrimp. And will chase any other bright colored fish. If there is a filter flow he will not like that and not calm down....he will stress.

Watch the cherry shrimp and other fish bettas will eat shrimp. And will chase any other bright colored fish. If there is a filter flow he will not like that and not calm down....he will stress.

Thank you for the warning!!! So far he's only going after the little ramshorn snails (which I'm having a small explosion of so... I'm grateful ) I have tons of hiding for the shrimp and he hasn't seemed to notice them but I will keep a watchful eye! And the flow of the filter doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's keeping away from it but doesn't seem bothered by it! I've only ever had a betta by itself but I thought I would try it since they are so gorgeous and add color and flare!

Attachments

• image-338792241.jpg
    image-338792241.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 105
Good deal! looks like he has a good home there, but when he notices the RCS, it may get ugly....Took mine a while to notice the ghosties in his house, but when he did, the Ghosties all went in another tank! He got a couple before I could net em all up!

Some Bettas do fine with the shrimp and some don't. It really does depend on their temperment. One of mine does really with all the shrimp in his tank but the other 3 do not tolerate shrimp at all, just their nerites.

He's probably trying to exert his dominance in the tank! I'm lucky my boy isn't interested in any of his tank mates and I haven't seen him flare at all.
Just keep an eye on him whilst he settles

Bettas definately are like people it just depends on its personality what it likes.. i had a male that lived playing in the filter current and 1 female that ddnt like it at all. Now i have a male that if i keep a light on he sees his reflection off the background and flares up nonstop.. so in order to reduce his stress until i can change the background he stays mostly in the dark

I have a male i kept in my 20g community with wild type guppies for months. Then he went in a 2.5 with 2 snails and 3 ghost shrimp... he killed all 3 shrimp in 2 days, and doesnt mind the snails. He has also had male gups as tankmates with no problems.

My betta has completely calmed down and is fond of his new home! Hasn't touched a shrimp (that I've seen)! Will nip lightly at my mystery snail (hasn't hurt it) and surprisingly loves playing in the bubbles and the filter current now! I'm much happier with him in a bigger environment! I think he is too! Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom