Betta runt spawn log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Seeing as my favorite bettas are "doing it" as I write this, I'm thinking of keeping track of how my fry grow.
I'm not going to cull any of them because iv heard that the runts that survive turn out to be super beautiful!!
Who thinks I should?

Seeing as my favorite bettas are "doing it" as I write this, I'm thinking of keeping track of how my fry grow.
I'm not going to cull any of them because iv heard that the runts that survive turn out to be super beautiful!!
Who thinks I should?
I do. It isn't just runts that need to be culled, and there is nothing about being a runt that would make a fish more beautiful.

i dont think u should cull any, just send any unwanted ones to a lfs.
whats the colour of the parents btw? xx
The world is full of inferior quality bettas. LFSs have plenty coming in from their suppliers so they won't really have any need to buy fish that should have been culled from a local breeder.

From what I've read any deformed or sickly fry should be culled. How do you tell if it is a runt? Just small?

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
i dont think u should cull any, just send any unwanted ones to a lfs.
whats the colour of the parents btw? xx

I'm not going to cull or give away any and the parents are;
Male - bright orange all over with a little bit of blue on the start of the fins - veil tail
Female - dark blue with metallic purple dragon scale - pretty sure Half moon (judging by previous spawn)

My fish are also from the pet store not from a breeder so I'm not sure of their genetic background.

ashleynicole said:
From what I've read any deformed or sickly fry should be culled. How do you tell if it is a runt? Just small?

Iv read that too but I also read that the runts (once they catch up) turn out to be the beautifulest out of them all.
I love breeding pet store bettas because
1. Your saving them from those tiny half filled jars.
2. Because is exiting when you don't know their genetic background.
3. Because you end up with much less fry so you can get decent sized homes for them instead of having heaps and keeping them in little jars.

I actually don't know much about runts but I plan to find out more and educate other people about them because I could never bring myself to cull and innocent little fishy :(

severum mama said:
I do. It isn't just runts that need to be culled, and there is nothing about being a runt that would make a fish more beautiful.

The world is full of inferior quality bettas. LFSs have plenty coming in from their suppliers so they won't really have any need to buy fish that should have been culled from a local breeder.

Yeah iv asked alot of pet stores and LFS if I could give them my fish but they told me they get it from a real aquarium.

If its hard for you to cull your stock, you could consider using the ones you cull as feeders for larger fish. Like some people use guppy fry to feed bigger fish. That's what I plan on doing with mine, I am going to cull the sickly and deformed and put them in my 29 gallon for my bolivian ram and my angel.

ashleynicole said:
If its hard for you to cull your stock, you could consider using the ones you cull as feeders for larger fish. Like some people use guppy fry to feed bigger fish. That's what I plan on doing with mine, I am going to cull the sickly and deformed and put them in my 29 gallon for my bolivian ram and my angel.

Nah I couldn't do that either. If they were sick or deformed then I guess I would have to but with my batch there's none of them

Back
Top Bottom