Black molly pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this Molly preggo or just a bit of a belly?

Attachments

• image-2977402182.jpg
    image-2977402182.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 735
  • image-2896966452.jpg
    image-2896966452.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 243
If that picture is current, yeah, she's definitely pregnant. She's gorgeous, btw. Her stomach in relation to her head has the "square" appearance most people describe. She's probably a couple weeks in, imo

Mazel tov!

It'll look like she has white poop trying to come out the day before and the day of birth

Keep am eye on her, she should drop soon, and fry will be everywhere. Be wary, however, and keep an eye out for strange behavior or trouble swimming, as really long, stringy white poop can indicate health issues

derail said:
Keep am eye on her, she should drop soon, and fry will be everywhere. Be wary, however, and keep an eye out for strange behavior or trouble swimming, as really long, stringy white poop can indicate health issues

It's all normal just a White colour

Fishman94 said:
It's all normal just a White colour

Mine did that when she was trying to have her fry. She ended up having 45 in one batch :)

She looks very pregnant. My mollies gave birth to 41 babies so keep a close eye on her because they will need to be put in a baby breeder.

Your molly looks very similar to my preganant molly (I think she is pregnant). I isolated her and she has been in the breeder tank for a week -- before islotaing her, I was monitoring her for 3-4 weeks and started to see her belling squaring up. I am giving her until end of this week and will release her if she doesn't give birth. Thoughts?

Gestation time is quite varied between different fish, between 24-48 days, usually around 30 days. It can depend on the temperature of the water, too. Keep it nice and warm, 78-82 degrees.

I have the temp between 79-80 degrees. She appears to be non-stressed and has huge appetite. I also noticed that the male molly likes to hang out on top right next to the breeder tank. Not sure he can sense the female there?

As far as the female goes, I really don't want to keep her in there longer than she needs to. If I let her go while she's pregnant, I'll let nature run its course. I have plenty of live plants and moss for them to hide. I just hope that she delivers before I let her go. Then again, that's if she is preggo.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of surviving fry if you let her go, especially if there are plenty of hiding places in the tank. 20-40 fry is the normal amount, that's a lot of babies!

Also, you could let her have them in the tank and then remove some to a separate tank after they're born. They're pretty easy to catch.

Back
Top Bottom