Black Mystery Snail had babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I kept looking for an egg sack, but i never saw one. And yesterday, I see a little spec on my glass. (like the size of a ladybug). I try to brush it off, but i see its inside the tank. I look close, and its a little baby snail!

So far ive only seen 2.. i thought they laid hundreds.. or is it just they're hiding?

Also, they wont become food to my dwarf gourami or my zebra danios? Anything special to keep em happy and well fed?

Thanks!

Well, I thought they laid hundreds, but many get eaten or dont survive, and more than 1 or 2. But im fine with the few i have, as long as they survive. I cant wait for them to get bigger :)

What are the pro's / cons of snails and what kind should I get for my ten gallon?... pictures of it under sig, click link.

Snails are great bottom feeders. They will eat food and junk at the bottom of the tank. Plus they cruse all over, you'll see them crawling on the glass and everywhere in between.

Mystery/Apple snails are great. IME snails don't get big and tank size doesn't really matter. I'd only get one, though.

You just might need to take some back to the LFS if it has babies and your tank starts to get overloaded with them.

erik7 said:
Well, I thought they laid hundreds, but many get eaten or dont survive, and more than 1 or 2. But im fine with the few i have, as long as they survive. I cant wait for them to get bigger :)

If you have Apple snails, there is a dried up egg clutch somewhere on your aquarium wall or up underneath your filter.

The Pros?
* They help keep debris to a minimum
* You can train them to be hand fed
* They come in tons of different colors

The Cons?
* They are very hard to sex
* Once they start laying egg clutches they won't stop laying them pretty much until they are ready to pass.
* They will lay egg clutches outside of your aquarium if they feel their egg clutches won't survive in the aquarium.

In a 10 g, I personally would put 5 apple snails but that just me. Good luck.

Forgot to add if they are a Mystery Snail then they are a livebearing snail and there will be no egg clutch to be found.

Ok, they are mystery. That answers that.

Now, couple questions msmonih. I never found the egg clutch. Should I hunt for it, any reason to?

Second.. I want to train them to be hand fed. How do you go about doing this? I didnt read anything about that on applesnails.net.

erik7 said:
Ok, they are mystery. That answers that.

Now, couple questions msmonih. I never found the egg clutch. Should I hunt for it, any reason to?

Second.. I want to train them to be hand fed. How do you go about doing this? I didnt read anything about that on applesnails.net.

That's up to you. We don't leave egg clutches on our aquarium walls. We remove them and hatch them in a kritter keeper it goes a lot faster than them hanging on the aquarium wall.

Hand feeding? Our snails know when it is feeding time. They make their way up to the top of the water line. They usually make a funnel - we drop fish food (whatever we are feeding) directly in their funnel. Or we slide a small piece of tubiflex worm cube near their mouth or in their funnel. Hence they now hang around at the water line when they are hungry or want some other food than what is on the gravel floor.

Back
Top Bottom