Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Black Skirt Tetras

Hey guys! Anyone know how to sex these guys? My wife noticed one of them becoming fat, and it's real noticeable. It's acting an eating normal, even chasing the others around like normal. Just want to know if I have a pregnant one on my hands. Thanks for any help!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here are some pics, hopefully quality is good enough:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4125824060.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	123640

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2426324071.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	123641

Second pic has it looking straight at the camera. You can see how bloated looking it is. Please excuse the swordtail, he always comes to the glass when I'm there! Haha

Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Could be she is carrying eggs. They will scatter eggs.
I found eggs on the glass in my tank. The next time I put in a divider in front of the glass and the eggs were scattered there. I took them out and put them in another tank.. This morning I think I saw a very tiny one swimming. They are much smaller than baby guppies. The eggs were just laid Saturday and I have heard it can take 24 hours to 4-5 days for them to hatch. Mine look like it is taking 2-3 days to hatch.

The bad part is when they lay eggs they will go back and eat the eggs; they will also eat the babies when they hatch. If you have someplace you can put the eggs when they lay them do it.

I don't know if mine are black skirt long fin or white skirt long fin or red skit long fin tetras... I have all 3 kinds in the tank.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for this info! I am convinced this fish is a she, and will be laying eggs. Unfortunately, I do not have anywhere to put them, so I'm probably going to lose them. Besides the black skirts themselves, I'm sure the cories and whisker shrimp will feast on them.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey keep us updated on this. I'm wanting to know more about black skirts and their breeding. my mom has three in her tetra tank, one day we saw a fourth and very smaller one. I'm sure there were more eggs scattered in the tank, so that was a big surprise lol
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will! Not sure how successful I will be considering I have snails, cories and whisker shrimp, so the eggs will probably get gobbled up. I only have but 2 or 3 hours a day during the week because of work to really pay attention, so I'm guessing I'll miss the drop.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a community also, that's why I'm happy this one survived. I still don't know which ones did the mating because there are three black skirts in there lol
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm hoping I get lucky. I brought home 2 female guppies the other day for my 2 male livebearers that have been harassing a female (didn't realize I had one), and one dropped fry in the bag! I have a breeder net hanging in the tank with 9 babies right now, and the community is hanging out around the net dying to get at the little ones. This doesn't make me feel too optimistic.....hahaha
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Keep us posted I have 10, black skirts in my tank and live them@
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are awesome, I have to say. I have an electric green one in there as well, cuz the wife wanted one. He fits right in and schools with the others. He started out real aggressive, almost brought him back because he was pissing me off. But he settled in and is part of the team.

Tags
black skirt tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com