Blackchins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal1402

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Has anyone any experience breeding this lovely little fish? I've never come across them before and there seems to be precious little on the breeding of this species. Any info you've got is good info. How long they carry? How many fry to a batch? How hardy are the fry? Are this species like other livebearers? Can they hybridise with any other species?
Thanks in advance ?

If you are talking about Girardinus metallicus, we've kept and bred them. I can't tell you how long they hold, but they only drop a couple fry at a time and seem to be more gradual in their reproduction than most other livebearers. They are easy fish for the most part, but won't do well in really soft water.

Bugger, probably should have been more clear there. It is the blackchin livebearer Girardinus Metallicus. Sorry about that.
Interesting that they only drop a couple of fry at a time. I thought all livebearers were the same in that respect, the more the merrier approach to fry. Soft water is excellent info. Anything else you guys can tell me about fry survival? Rough size etc?
Thanks again x

Actually quite a few of the wild type livebearers drop gradually, usually with larger individual fry. There's not much else to them. They're a great little fish. The females will get up to about 1.5", but the males stay around half that size.

Thanks so much for the advice and tips. I'm hoping to put theory into practice very soon. Both of my females are looking nice and rounded. Could well be my first batch of fry!! I'm estimating they are at least 10days gone. I'll keep a rough count and see when they pop.
Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom