Blue + Gold = ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So last weekend my boyfriend and I decided to try rams one more time. We got a nice pair of GBR's and Gold male. there were no decent looking females.

Tonight when I went to feed them I found that the female GBR laid eggs with the male gold!!!

We can't wait to see what colors these lil guys will have. Keep your fingers crossed that this batch hatches and survives!

When my angel pair used to spawn, I found that leaving the light on all the time stopped them, and the pleco, from eating the eggs.

Are you prepared to feed them with they become free swimming?

Good luck, keep us updated!

When my angel pair used to spawn, I found that leaving the light on all the time stopped them, and the pleco, from eating the eggs.

Are you prepared to feed them with they become free swimming?

Good luck, keep us updated!

At night on that tank we have moon lights. No plecos in this tank. Only otos, bamboo shrimp and the 3 rams. (40g heavily planted tank) I have some fry food, that kind that comes as a paste and I have some frozen baby brine shrimp that has been in the freezer waiting for just such a happy occasion. Also the tank has it's own source of "green water" (algae). They should have plenty of food to grow on I think. (If they survive)

So here's a few pictures of the happy little couple. Daddy is the Gold, mama is the GBR. They laid eggs on the leaf of an anubias. As you can tell, daddy was NOT very happy that I took pics. And yeah, I suck at picture taking.

Attachments

• bluemama1_1192.jpg
    bluemama1_1192.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 63
  • bluemama2_1193.jpg
    bluemama2_1193.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 64
  • daddy1_1194.jpg
    daddy1_1194.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 66
  • daddy2_1190.jpg
    daddy2_1190.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 68
excellent plants and congrats on the breeding! keep us updated!

A1,

Could have been anything. The parents eating ones that weren't fertilized or fungus-y. The otos, other GBR or bamboo shrimp might have snacked a few or even the parents. I've been watching them on and off all morning and the remaining eggs are being guarded closely. Both parents on them now instead of switching off.

All eggs are gone. Not sure if they've hatched and the parents moved them, haven't seen them hovering over the spawn site so it's a possibility. Or they've been eaten. We'll see what happens.

Wow, i hope they are alive. This does 1 things for you, #1 it shows you your tank is fine to keep AND breed them. What are the details of the tank? Lighting, any co2, or maybe any ferts of any kind. This is a find of a life time, never heard of this happening before. Congrats.

Got any FTS?

Wow, i hope they are alive. This does 1 things for you, #1 it shows you your tank is fine to keep AND breed them. What are the details of the tank? Lighting, any co2, or maybe any ferts of any kind. This is a find of a life time, never heard of this happening before. Congrats.

Got any FTS?

Sadly I don't think there are wigglers, but this can happen the first few spawns. We're keeping our hopes up for the next one. I have changed my PWC policy on this tank. I was doing about 30% once a week, now I'm doing 20-25 every other week. I haven't done one with this group yet because there were eggs. Now that their gone, I can do a quick change.

The tank is a 40g, onyx sand mixed with Activ-Flora for substrate. Red slate to build up a corner area terrace, black slate for caves, lots of plants and DW. Lighting isn't high tech at all, not even considered tech I think lol. It's a double bulb strip, we have a soft white and a warm light pair of bulbs in there for now, but are planning on daylight bulbs. I just need to find something on how many WPG I need. No CO2 even thought I do have some equipment for it, I just haven't researched it enough to be confortable. And for ferts I use Excel Flourish. Filter is a Fluval 305 with peat and phosphate removing pads. Not a high tech or fancy set up :)

Not sure if I know what FTS is though.

Nice jungle pic! Your plants look real healthy. What is the orange fish? Is it one of the parents? Did it mate with the blue one?

Back
Top Bottom