Blue Gourami odd breeding behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gourami-mommy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! This'll be a long one, lol. I have 3 blue gouramis and 2 gold in a 50 gallon breeder (all three spot gouramis, just different colors). I've never tried to breed them and have not ever been interested in breeding, but these past few days my biggest male has started acting odd. His colors have turned very dark and he's claimed one corner as his own. He chases away all the others when they come near and is always making bubble nests.
There's this one female he likes. They've been mating very often these last few days, it's always her approaching him and pestering him until he cups around her, even if he's nipping at her and trying to chase her away. She doesn't lay eggs very often. They couple up every 10-30 minutes these past two days and she has probably only produced eggs 3 times.
Here's the thing though, I'm pretty sure he's eating the eggs. He immediately takes them all in his mouth and at first I thought he was taking them to his best but I never see him release them. Maybe he thinks three spot gouramis are mouthbrooders? Lol.
Is this behavior normal? I've had lots of gouramis over the years but never had any who were tried to spawn. How long will the male be like this?
Thanks! [emoji16]20200828_141544.jpg20200827_075621.jpg20200828_153749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom