Blue platy pregnant but how can I tell when she'll give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She is looking like she is ready to drop. I would recommend keeping a close eye on her if you put her back in the big tank for a bit. It might help her get the birthing process going if she can swim around.
Just a note, some of my female livebearers refuse to drop fry anywhere except the main tank. I have taken them out, but they just won't drop until I put them back in. They get used to the big tank and feel safe there, so sometimes they refuse to drop fry in other places. Just my experience. You definitely get more fry if they drop them in a smaller tank though without all the hungry mouths of other fish waiting to gobble up fry. Hopefully she drops fry soon!

absolutangel04 said:
She is looking like she is ready to drop. I would recommend keeping a close eye on her if you put her back in the big tank for a bit. It might help her get the birthing process going if she can swim around.
Just a note, some of my female livebearers refuse to drop fry anywhere except the main tank. I have taken them out, but they just won't drop until I put them back in. They get used to the big tank and feel safe there, so sometimes they refuse to drop fry in other places. Just my experience. You definitely get more fry if they drop them in a smaller tank though without all the hungry mouths of other fish waiting to gobble up fry. Hopefully she drops fry soon!

Thanks for the great advice!

:( I just put her back in my big tank and the 2 males are already harassing her a fighting over her ;( I work this evening so I just hope she doesn't drop while I'm there!

Thanks for the great advice!

:( I just put her back in my big tank and the 2 males are already harassing her a fighting over her ;( I work this evening so I just hope she doesn't drop while I'm there!
Yeah, I forgot about the 2 males in the big tank. You can leave her in the big tank until you go to work maybe... Truthfully, it can be hard to time these things well. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, I forgot about the 2 males in the big tank. You can leave her in the big tank until you go to work maybe... Truthfully, it can be hard to time these things well. :)

She's looking a little bit bigger today but still won't drop her babies! I wish they would come already! Lol

I was just watching some YouTube videos and I think she has a bit to go. The Mollies bellies in the videos were much bigger and rounder. I'm sure once she drops I'll know what's going to happen the next time! Lol

I was just watching some YouTube videos and I think she has a bit to go. The Mollies bellies in the videos were much bigger and rounder. I'm sure once she drops I'll know what's going to happen the next time! Lol

yup and usually right before they drop u can see little dots and i think it might be the fry eyes

Yep. Thats what worked for me. Like I said earlier, I think she still has a bit to go. But, I have had my livebearers get HUGE before dropping where I started to wonder if the fry would ever drop, and I have had slim fish drop fry that I didn't even know were gravid. There is definitely some variability. The things you can do IMO is to just keep an eye on her. :) And definitely once you see what she looks like when she drops fry, you will be able to judge better next time. :) Good luck! Keep us posted.

Pic I took today of mommy fish. She's on the top, growing even bigger, and the father is on the bottom. I'm thinking she only needs to grow a little bit more before she'll be ready to drop. I can't wait so that I'll actually know what to look for! Lol

Attachments

• image-3509915484.jpg
    image-3509915484.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 83
It totally looks like there is one big baby fish in there from that pic. Lol

I got a yellow barb platy on Friday and she had 18 babies on Sunday. Guess my tank was great for her.

I hope she births soon!!!

It's so exciting!

She still hasn't dropped her fry yet :( But I did acquire a 10 gallon tank today for cheap! Once I get it cycling I'll see if she likes it in there. Much better than the small 3 g! I think I might get rid of it now lol It's not really good for anything!

Question: should I get an air pump for the 10g? It came with a aqua clear 20 filter but no air pump(I already have a heater)

Attachments

• image-3525280454.jpg
    image-3525280454.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 67
Yeah, the air pump is not necessary IMO. In a 10g tank, the waterfall from the HOB filter does a good job mixing oxygen into the water, so no worries.
If you want to keep the 3g tank, I suggest shrimp. There are really amazing dwarf shrimp out there that are really cool and fun. I have red cherry shrimp in a 2.5g tank, and they are really active and fun. :)

I keep checking back! :) Can't wait till she has her babies! This has been an exciting post! Thought it would have happened by now.. Come on mama!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom