Blue platy pregnant but how can I tell when she'll give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ocminpin said:
I keep checking back! :) Can't wait till she has her babies! This has been an exciting post! Thought it would have happened by now.. Come on mama!! ;)

She definitely pregnant! I just put her in the 10 gallon yesterday and she should have them within the week. I've only had the tank for just over a month so I think she needed to get used to my water and such before she would drop her babies. She's not really swimming in the 10 gallon though, is that good or bad?!

Depends.... 10g isn't enough space for her to swim like she did in the bigger tank, but she should be ok in there for a little bit. how did you acclimate her?

absolutangel04 said:
Depends.... 10g isn't enough space for her to swim like she did in the bigger tank, but she should be ok in there for a little bit. how did you acclimate her?

I let the new tank cycle for almost a week before putting her in. I put her in a bag with the 20 g water and then sat her on top of the 10g for about 20 min before I put her in. I was just looking at the males in the 20g and they don't swim much either lol. I must have been distracted by the rosy barbs! They race each other!

Hmmm... well, mollies are not usually hyper, but they should be active. You don't really have to be too careful while acclimating a hrady fish like molly from one tank in your house to another tank in your house becasue the water is the same for the most part.
Hopefully she perks up a little in there. How did you cycle the 10g?

absolutangel04 said:
Hmmm... well, mollies are not usually hyper, but they should be active. You don't really have to be too careful while acclimating a hrady fish like molly from one tank in your house to another tank in your house becasue the water is the same for the most part.
Hopefully she perks up a little in there. How did you cycle the 10g?

I cycled it using aqua cycle just like it says on the package but I left the aquarium sit for almost a week before I put her in

I'm starting to think she's lonely or something. She only swims around when she thinks I'm not looking lol I'm starting to think I should put her back with her friends for a couple days

abrahamavelar said:
Have you check the parameters, also if she hasnt got bigger or drop by friday i would put her back

I just put her boyfriend in the tank with her, she's seems to have perked up a little bit already. Hopefully that's all it was

abrahamavelar said:
Have you check the parameters, also if she hasnt got bigger or drop by friday i would put her back

I just tested the water and all in normal. The male is liking the tank so I hope he gets the female happy too! Lol

Well, the 10g tank is small for the activity level and size of an adult molly, so I wouldn't expect her to be thrilled about being in there. But, its ok for a little while waiting for her to drop. :) But, like I said, some females IME refuse to drop fry in other tanks. I honestly think its a bad idea to put the male in there too. She might just be more active because he is bothering her. I you think she needs interaction, I would put her back into the big tank rather than keeping her in a small tank with a male. Those males can stress females to death (I have seen it) with their constant badgering. Also, if she does drop her fry, he will eat them.
Can you please humor me and tell what the "normal" readings are? Cycle-in-a-bottle products are usually junk. The bacteris that they are supposed to contain are quite often dead by the time the bottle gets to you after the shipping process. Sorry to re-ask this, but do you have a liquid test kit or strips?
That girl is sure holding onto those little fry! I hope she drops them for you soon. :)

Actually I think she must be close to dropping because the male sniffs her then leaves her alone. Pardon my words but before he was fish raping her ALL the time! Now he seems to have backed off. I tested for ammonia with a liquid drop test and the water was completely yellow which is zero ammonia. I'm going to be removing the male Friday before I go to work just in case too.

And she's huge! I would think it would be any day now. It's been almost 30 days since I first saw them mating so it's gotta be soon! Lol

Lol, thanks. I have kept a lot of livebearers. I love them though. They are very rewarding fish to have and I never get tired of getting babies! :)

Back
Top Bottom