Blue Rams Laid Eggs on Tiger Lotus Leaves, Have Questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
This has to be the highlight of my fish keeping career to date, last night witnessing my male and female Blue Rams spawn right out in the open in my 29 gallon community tank! It went on for quite a while and there are eggs all over two of the Tiger Lotus leaves and some are even on the subtrate beneath the leaves. The female is fighting everyone to keep them away. Other fish in this tank are: a pair of apistos, 2 wild Blue Rams, the female is fighting big time with one of the wild ram females, 2 Lemon Tetras, 2 Ottos and 1 SAE.

My first question is, what should I do now? Should I just leave them alone and let nature take it's course? I have a 10 gallon tank that contains another pair of Blue Rams and a pair of Platys and my husband just called to say that he thinks there are eggs in the 10 gallon too!

Also, why is the female wild Blue Ram rubbing up against everything in the tank, or at least she was last night. Her colors have been spectacular too!

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this is my fist time seeing this and it's so exciting!

Thank you!
Linda

If this is their first time, yes leave as is. They will need the practice. With the variety of tankmates in there, you should consider a separate tank if you want to breed them. The chances of hatching and fry survival is diminished with these aggressive eaters.

Wild's eh? Very rare to see anyone with F0's. More than likely she is "jealous" of the mating activity going on and is trying to show that she is "ready" as well.

She just might be ready...

My female did the same thing. I thought maybe something was wrong with her. I had a boatload of eggs the very next day.

That's exactly what I was thinking, that she was trying to let the male know that she was ready to spawn too, although the male doesn't want anything to do with her, he's too smitten with the other female. Both females have been fighting like crazy, they go head to head, no backing down on either side and sometimes the male goes after the wild ram too! I'm startomg to really feel bad for her!

I think this might be the second time for the male and female ram, just last week this same behavior was going on, only they were in the back corner of the tank where I couldn't see them. The tip that there might have been eggs back there was the male not coming out to eat at feeding time all day!

This is just so exciting!

Back
Top Bottom