BNP-Eggs to Fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone!

My Albino BNP pair laid eggs(dates and details below) and today i noticed i have wigglers!

Bubbler constantly running.

Temp: 82 F

Laid : Friday (9-13-13)
Hatched : Wednesday (9-18-13)

I am super exited! This is my first batch of BNP , and have a few questions after doing some research!

I have read you can feed baby BNP the same as adults? I have sweet potato and algae wafers (can get more fresh veggies) will that do?
I also have micro worms and brine shrimp (which i hate hatching lol)

They are still in the pot cave they were laid in, it is in a 30 g with plants the mother and father, and a calico BNP. Should i move the whole pot (father and all) to a separate 10 gallon so i can feed them separately?

Those are all my questions for now! Im sure more will come along soon though :)

they are ok where they are. what i do is crush up some wafers and soak them a little and use something to squirt them in where the fry are. i use frozen bbs also. i also take some cucumber and smash it up and feed them. i have 3 breeding pair now and getting a male for my 4th female tomorrow. put a piece of drift wood in there for them to chew on

they are ok where they are. what i do is crush up some wafers and soak them a little and use something to squirt them in where the fry are. i use frozen bbs also. i also take some cucumber and smash it up and feed them. i have 3 breeding pair now and getting a male for my 4th female tomorrow. put a piece of drift wood in there for them to chew on

Thanks Bob!
So a mixture of soaked wafers and smashed cucumbers in a squirter and spot feed it to them?

I have 2 medium sized pieces of DW in there for them to rasp on. (Don't know what kind but i was looking into some cholla wood so i can make the tank look good and make t healthy for the plecos at the same time!)

Thanks for the reply!

Edit: should i raise them to a sellable size in this 30 g? ( parents and female calico are in here as well) assuming they keep the fry coming, i will have a very over stocked tank. I have a 55 g with a pair of angles and a BNP in it, would that be ok to move medium sized babies into for growth space?

Thanks again!!!

your welcome .yes sounds like a good mixture. they will also munch on small sinking cichlid pellets or shrimp pellets. the tank sounds awesome i would love to see a pic when u get it done. i take my babys out when they get about 1/2 inch and give them there own tank. i have an extra 55 that im going to turn into a pleco baby tank. i dont know if u can get grape vine down there but it sinks fast and looks cool.

img_2657862_0_080d1548ca2437f3d00b0a43d04aee68.jpg

(Seeing as you can barely see the male in this pic, the fry picture would be useless , they are even harder to see)

Full tank shot:

img_2657862_1_91a47e8fffe210dbffb914681dca955e.jpg

I apologize for the picture quality iPod Touch camera at it's best :)

The tank looks great. From the day of spawn to free swimming pleco fry is about 15 days.
You can feed cucumeber, squash, and lots of other veggies. you do need to blanch. them. (put them in boiling hot water for a few sec.) to kill any germs bacteria, or chem in the Veggie. You don't need to to mash. Just cut slices. I my self just wash and slice. The fry can eat it. Shrimp pellets Algea waffers are good too. They can and will eat flack food.
I breed pleco's in 10g tanks. They spawn every 8 weeks. I leave them in the tanks. Becuase they stop breeding after the tanks get over crawded. Ones the babys are big enough to sale and are sold. They start spawning again. That keeps the numbers down.

Checked in on the fry today, they look like tiny fat versions of the adults!!

Still have a decent yolk sack on them, and i think there is about 15-20 (that i can see) .

Today i found a single fry hanging out at the top of the tank!

I have him in a breeders box until his brothers and sisters are released (i think he just slipped by the dad)

Today i got home and there was a group of about 10 fry hanging out together.
Upon closer inspection i saw they were pooping! (Which means they are done with the yolk sac?)
So i released the last of the babies (about 30 so 40 ish total)
The father was quite stubborn when i tried to get him out of the cave, and once i did he swam right back in a few moments after i left.

I have removed that cave now and everyone looks happy and healthy!

Good luck!

A few days ago i bought a brown bnp to match my female brown bnp, so fingers crossed they like each other!!

The albino fry are all doing well and eating like pigs!

Oh my googoodness they are so cute! Were they in a tank of their own?

The parents are in a 30 gallon with a calico female all to themselves. The babies came along and its pleco madness! I do have lots of snails, but no other fish in with them.

The fry are soooo cute! They are still eating like crazy!

My brown BNP male i got was flirting with my female, who is looking fat (with eggs? ;) )

Otherwise all is normal!

It's been quite awhile, and a lot has happened.
The first batch (the original one i posted) slowly died off, still don't know why.

But on a brighter note, my albino pair has produced two spawns since then. The second spawn babies are around 1" and the latest spawn babies are just over .5"

And the male is exploring the caves again ;)

(Will add pictures soon)

Back
Top Bottom