Bolivian Red Ram eggs...!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to a wedding last night and when I came back I noticed this:

Anyone have any advice on this? I've heard that Rams can be bad parents the first few times. I've bought a net-trap breeding thing because I also read that you should take the babies away from the parents. What's the best way to do this? Siphon?

Advice would be appreciated, I think they'll hatch out in 48 hours from now...

If you have another tank that you can set up it would be better than putting them in the net trap.

Here's what most breeders will do:

They have extra tanks with sponge filters set up

They move the rock (or whatever the parents laid eggs on) into the other tank.

Some add drops of methylene blue to prevent fungus growing on the eggs(the parents fanning the eggs is what normally would prevent this)

Some will place an air stone close to the eggs instead of using methylene blue

I use frozen baby brine shrimp, frozen daphnia and Hikari baby bites to feed my fry.

Make sure to do water changes a few times a week in the fry tank. I keep gallon milk jugs filled with water and Prime sitting out and ready to use as refill water. I let them set for a few days to gas out so there's no pH spikes. That can kill the fry.

Agreed, I would remove/isolate them from the rest of the tank so they don't get eaten.

Don't the parents protect them? The slate is too big to fit in the netting. I have a backup tank but no heater.

Shetland James said:
Don't the parents protect them? The slate is too big to fit in the netting. I have a backup tank but no heater.

The first time they breed it's not uncommon for patents to eat they're young.

There's about 1/3rd of the eggs left. I'm willing to accept a botched spawning this time around cause I was unprepared. Next time they breed I'll have a separate tank set up. Should see the first of them hatch out tonight or tomorrow.

Most of the eggs on the rock look unfertilized. If they are fertilized they are an amber color, unfertilized turn white.

I believe that bolivians are much better parents than german blues, but i have no first hand experience with them.

Yes I was worried about the unfertilisation thing. Some eggs are see-through, some are white and some have a sort of ambery tinge developing... but if the gestation is only 48 hours then maybe its too late.

As has been said, they are bad parents at first, they'll figure it out.

I think there's 1 or 2 eggs which look fertilized. But I'm not sure. After how long should I give up hope? The eggs were laid somewhat over 40 hours ago I believe.

As you can see, the numbers have diminished significantly.

Well the last egg left the slate today. I presume most were eaten. I watched the male eat one. I'm wondering if some hatched and were eaten? Ah well, better luck next time mom and dad!

at 3 days or so they should be wiggling if any were fertilized. I have noticed that mine will usually move them from the spawning point to another spot once they hatch, if they don't eat them.

Better luck next time. I have had fish pairs eat all their eggs on the first spawn, but end up being great parents later.

Back
Top Bottom