Breeder Box Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a breeder box cas I gots fish thatle eat ther young so I don't want to lose babies. Any suggestions? :D

I have 2 different kind of breeder nets, one is made of a rigid plastic material and the other is made of plastic posts and covered in a cloth material. I prefer the rigid plastic one, it seems like fry and other fish in the tank end up getting stuck around the cloth and die.

I have one in each of my guppy breeder tanks, nonetheless, and I think they still maximize fry survival.

I don't recommend those small breeder trap things though with the V in them, they are too small.

mfdrookie516 said:
I dont like them. I killed two fish on two separate incidents using one. They do more harm than good IMO. Too much stress on the fish.

How? I've seen them successful and ther recommended by some breeders

jetajockey said:
I have 2 different kind of breeder nets, one is made of a rigid plastic material and the other is made of plastic posts and covered in a cloth material. I prefer the rigid plastic one, it seems like fry and other fish in the tank end up getting stuck around the cloth and die.

I have a baby saver net but I want to get a box. Wat il do is have my fancy guppi give birth in it first, then after a week remove the guppies from the box into the tank and take out the adults. Then if a fish gets pregers in my tank w the net I'll put the babies in that.

jetajockey said:

I have one in each of my guppy breeder tanks, nonetheless, and I think they still maximize fry survival.

I don't recommend those small breeder trap things though with the V in them, they are too small.

War dimensions would u recommend? 10cm x 15? More? They com in diff sizes also can u show me a pic of the nets u gots?

GhillieSniper115 said:
I have a baby saver net but I want to get a box. Wat il do is have my fancy guppi give birth in it first, then after a week remove the guppies from the box into the tank and take out the adults. Then if a fish gets pregers in my tank w the net I'll put the babies in that.

Just pick up an empty ten gallon. Catch what fry you can catch with a cup if your not expecting it, and if you are, just put the female in the ten when you know she's expecting. All you have to do is run a second filter on the main tank, then stick a pantyhose over the intake when you put it on the 10. Let it run for a day, and you can put substrate in it if you'd like. The established media will pretty much cycle the tank automatically, and it will be much less stressful on the mom.

Yeah I'll take a pic really quick. What I do is I put gravid females in the box and then after they drop the babies I take them out and just dump the fry into the tank below it. These are 15 gallon tanks.

Excuse the mess :p
img_1351533_0_ef4b7798570c2ce3d35fee381241b04c.jpg

jetajockey said:
Yeah I'll take a pic really quick. What I do is I put gravid females in the box and then after they drop the babies I take them out and just dump the fry into the tank below it. These are 15 gallon tanks.

Excuse the mess :p

Ooh so ur a pro. I'm not wothy lol! I do have one of them but it already has a baby swordtail in it and its like 2 months old and still small!! Wen can I expect it to get bigger? And wats the dif between that and the breeder box ther the same size.

I don't understand what you mean, as far as what the difference is.

Swordtails should be a large juvenile after 2 months, at least big enough to go back in with the general population. It could be a runt, though, or not eating enough.

jetajockey said:
I don't understand what you mean, as far as what the difference is.

Swordtails should be a large juvenile after 2 months, at least big enough to go back in with the general population. It could be a runt, though, or not eating enough.

I feed it at least 1 time aday but I try to feed it 3x. How much should I feed it

I have one of those v shaped boxes that I got from petsmart and I don't recommend it.... My fish always seem to drop less fry when I put them into it. Plus my guppies always get out so it is not very effective IME

JoeyGGGG said:
I have one of those v shaped boxes that I got from petsmart and I don't recommend it.... My fish always seem to drop less fry when I put them into it. Plus my guppies always get out so it is not very effective IME

How do they get out? I have a grated bottom one medium size. Theres no way the fish can get outin mine. Plus sometimes the mom doesn't have alot of fry. They can have between 10-100 babies.

100 is a bit much lol its usually around 30-40ish max for a large female

Got pics of your new box? i'd like to see it with the fish in it just for a size comparison, I've used the small ones before and didn't liek them because the guppy seemed stressed.

My guppy somehow wiggle their way over the top edges of the box I've watch wondering to myself how haha

jetajockey said:
100 is a bit much lol its usually around 30-40ish max for a large female

Got pics of your new box? i'd like to see it with the fish in it just for a size comparison, I've used the small ones before and didn't liek them because the guppy seemed stressed.

Ya I'll get it to u. It's to big to stress the mom out

Back
Top Bottom