Breeder Box or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziparis35

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I have a very pregnant platy and varitys (sp?) and want to know your experiences with breeder boxes. The last thing I want is for my preggers fish to get stressed. Are they more prone to get stressed in a breeder net/box or are they finding it hard to find a quiet spot in my community tank to have their babies? I have a 20G. Check out my pix!

Any and all help/opinions would be appreciated!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397672009167.jpg
    1397672009167.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 1397672040907.jpg
    1397672040907.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 115
I would say let them have them in the tank and let nature run it's course but if you want to keep all the baby's then put in breeder box add flaring plants like duck weed to make them less stressed

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Livebearers

Hi All,

I have a very pregnant platy and varitys (sp?) and want to know your experiences with breeder boxes. The last thing I want is for my preggers fish to get stressed. Are they more prone to get stressed in a breeder net/box or are they finding it hard to find a quiet spot in my community tank to have their babies? I have a 20G. Check out my pix!

Any and all help/opinions would be appreciated!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello suzi...

Netting a pregnant fish or any fish is going to stress them and you. There's no need to do it. You have a small tank, so it won't take much to plant the surface and make the tank more suitable for the female to have the fry. I like to use Hornwort or Common water weed (Anacharis). The plant is cheap at the pet store and by dropping a lot of individual stems into the tank, you provide privacy for the female. When the fry are born, they immediately swim to the surface for a breath and hide in the plants. You can feed all the fish a little more and a little more often. Livebearing fish can be cannibalistic, but if the adults are well fed, they don't typically bother the fry.

Livebearing fish prefer a little standard aquarium salt added to their new, treated tap water. A teaspoon or even a little bit more in every 5 gallons is sufficient to calm the fish and stimulate their immune system.

Large, weekly water changes are a must for smaller tanks. If you change half the water at a time, that will keep the fish and plants healthy.

B

Back
Top Bottom