Breeder tank size? Opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

icon149

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like some opinions, I am planning on setting up a breeder tank for my Angels, probably a bare bottom with a piece of bog wood in it and some low light plants strapped to the bog wood (annubis, java fern and moss). I was planning on a 20 gallon H tank, but I just found a deal on an eclipse 12 system for $25 I guess the light doesn't work (i think its just a bulb), But because the light dosn't work Petsmart can't sell it for the usual $90 they charge.

So is a 12 gallon tank to small to breed angels? They Eclipse 12 is alot taller than a all glass 10 gallon so i thought it might workout.

Let me kow what you think, I don't want to buy the eclipse and then end up buying a 20 gallon 2 months down the road because the 12 is just to small.

wont you need the bigger tank to raise the fry anyway? from what i've heard, angels need lots of up and down room for their fins to grow correctly and they are much happier. IMO I would go with the 20 gal, but I'm not an angel breeder so you might want to do some more research.

I have the Eclipse 12 and it is not big enough for angels. I think a 20 high is minimum, so I would go with your original plan. Also, the Eclipse system really limits options for filtration and whatnot. I dislike them for that reason, and if this is a breeder tank I prefer to keep the setup flexible.

Usually gut reactions are correct icon149. You really unnderstand that a 12 gallon anything is too small for breeding angels. :wink:

Here is a list of most glass tanks made and sizes of them. A 29 is taller than a 20 high. A 37gal like I have is perfect for Angels. Same footprint as the 29 just taller. One that isnt on the list is a 30xh (extra high) 24X12 but not sure of the height. My guess is 24" or 25" high. My wal-mart sells them. Dont get the Eclipse hood like I did. TankGirl is right. It limits upgrades.

http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

The 15h. Same footprint as a 10 just taller. About the same size as the eclipse 12 that started this thread and is taller than the 20h.

I have a 15-gal with an Eclipse hood, but it is a glass tank so I could get a hood and HOB if I wanted to, unlike the acrylic models. I might consider putting a pair of angels in it by themselves.

Yeah My gut feeling was that the 12 was way to small, I didn't think about it before but my parents are coming down for a visit this month (from WI) maybe i can get them to bring down my old 29 gallon tank (used to be set up for African cichlids). That would be a more than ideal set up for breeding and growing out fry. Thanks for the help, This Forum has been great, my fish and i appreciate all your help!

Hi, I used to breed angel fish. I have a 25 gal and found that to be to small for them personally. If I were to do it again I would go with nothing less than a 33 gal. These fish do get to be of quite a size. More times than enough you will also see the male a bit on the aggressive side towards the female inbetween batches.

Grow out tanks, 10 gal way to small. Remember that these fish lay hundreds of eggs, if you get a good portion of them hatching a 10 gal becomes way to small for them to grow out properly.

This is just my opinion and what I experienced, do lots of research before attempting this breeding of angels. It sure can be a beautiful site to watch the parents raise the young :)

Good Luck.....Bugsy :D

Back
Top Bottom