breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmlong

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have long finned danio's that i have tried to mate but just can't seem to get them interested. I know i have 3 females, 1 male. The males are thinner and longer and thought i'm not sure about this but i think their anal fin is more rounded and the females are more squared, they look to be opposite of platty's, and more yellowish on the belly and fins underneath. I know they have mated before because i saw 1 fry one night swimming around. I did not know what it was cause this is all new to me. But after research and looking at pictures i know it was a danio fry. How he made it i have no idea but he disappeared very quickly. If i had known i would have tried to remove him. Well, i've seperated 2 females to one male into a breeding/quarantine container, it just floats in the water but it keeps the fish from eating the eggs. They don't seem even remotely interested to mate, they just seem like they want the heck out of that container! I put them in the night before about an hour or 2 before i turn off the light and check in the morning for eggs and there is nothing. I have read the link someone posted for me from Mike edwardes and have done everything he mentions but have no success. I'm wondering if the danio's are even old enough to mate but that fry had to be from them. the only other fish i have are 3 red tetra's and i have no idea how you sex them!!! I'm guessing the danio's are 4-6 months old, maybe 7 months. Got them in May and they were only about 3/4 of an inch and now they are about 1.5 inches. Will putting fish in a confined space discourage them from spawning? I have made several attempts at this but have no luck. I can't even catch the buggers anymore cause they know what i'm up to!! Anyone have advice or some help please let me know.

Try feeding them rich food like frozen bloodworms for a while to get them in condition. The danios I have seem to spawn in the mornings after the lights come on. They will eat all the eggs if given the chance. Most people recommend putting marbles in the bottom of the tank so that they can't get to them.

I have a breeding cage i put them in but im wondering if they are discouraged because its so crammed in there. I have bloodworms but they are not frozen, i guess they are freeze dried instead.

Back
Top Bottom