Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding Albino Bristlenose Plecos

I'm collecting some more info on breeding these guys. I know that they are easy to breed, but I want to make sure I do it right the first time.
1. What do you think would be the min. Size tank to breed? What about equipment?
2. Can you breed regular BN with ABNs? What about long fins?
3. What would you use as a breeding cave?
4. Should they have a tank by themselves?

That's about it for now....
Thank you all for your help. Very much appricated!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well not sure bout #1 but...
2. It ok to cross breed u may have some pretty cool results!! Tho it may be more difficult...
3. PVC tubes work well and small clay pots as well as other caves(have to be kinda small for any bristle nose as they don't grow very big!)
4. Not too sure but a tank alone would be good so that no other fish will eat the fry

I'm also thinking about breeding ABNs I got 2 and I am just hoping its a male and a female!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
FwA
Aquarium Advice Activist

Plant pots cut in half worked for me. I've heard slate is good. I also tried an old plastic 'prescription glasses' case with one end cut off. So pretty much anything works. Lol.
I've heard a 10g tank is good enough for one pair
I'm pretty sure most varieties of BN will breed together but someone else will be better to answer that.
I've also just moved them to their own permanent 10g breeding tank with no other tank mates. Avoid anything getting to my eggs then
Oh and equipment, I use a sponge filter as siphon filters can suck your eggs and fry up if not covered. Lots of air supply. I found a current over the front of the makes cave helped too. Heater turned on diagonal angle to avoid bristlenose clinging to it. One piece of driftwood. Two caves. That's pretty much all I have in my tank. Look in my 'bristlenose tips' post for pics.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

i use a 20 gal tank and small caves and drift wood . the local pet store has caves. the caves are usualy about 5 in round. i also took two small clay pots and siliconed them together and they love it.make holes big enough for them
Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
FwA
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've also just moved mine*

Tags
albino, breed, breeding, bristlenose, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com