Breeding Apistogramma...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBuckers

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a breeder tank set up, the only thing being is that it's only 30L. I don't know if this is sufficient enough size and was wondering if anyone has any input? They have tried breeding in my main tank prior but I have a Bristlenose who always gets in there.

Thanks.

What type apisto? To successfully Breed you'll have to remove anything but desires species.

The volume of water may not be as important as the dimension of the tank.
30L is a small amount of water tbh. Most breeders I know use a tank that is approx 75 Liters/ 20 gallons. The tank dimensions they use are 76 cm long x 30 cm wide x 30 cm high. This way, the fish have the ability to get away from each other until they are ready to spawn.
You also don't want any other fish in the tank with the breeders. You want their entire concentration to be on spawning, not distracted by defending their territory.

hope this helps. (y)

The volume of water may not be as important as the dimension of the tank.
30L is a small amount of water tbh. Most breeders I know use a tank that is approx 75 Liters/ 20 gallons. The tank dimensions they use are 76 cm long x 30 cm wide x 30 cm high. This way, the fish have the ability to get away from each other until they are ready to spawn.
You also don't want any other fish in the tank with the breeders. You want their entire concentration to be on spawning, not distracted by defending their territory.

hope this helps. (y)
Perhaps a 30 Long?

Thanks for the advice it is only 34x33x32. It is solely focused on one paired of Double Red Apisto's. There wouldn't be any other fish in the tank with them either. It would also only be to see them breed and then move them back to my main tank. If it would cause too much stress with the size of tank I will have to consider another tank. Sure the missus won't mind ?

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice it is only 34x33x32. It is solely focused on one paired of Double Red Apisto's. There wouldn't be any other fish in the tank with them either. It would also only be to see them breed and then move them back to my main tank. If it would cause too much stress with the size of tank I will have to consider another tank. Sure the missus won't mind ?

Thanks!

The issue is that when cichlids breed, there is often some conflict in the pre spawning ritual and if the tank is too small and there is not enough space to hide from each other, you can end up with a single fish instead of a pair. :( In a longer tank, more hiding spots can be placed so that breaks up the line of sight.

Here's an article on breeding apistos that might help you. (https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/freshwater/the-apistogramma-aquarium ) I know they say a 10 gal is fine in the article but the breeders I've seen all used 20 longs. Just sayin' ;)

The issue is that when cichlids breed, there is often some conflict in the pre spawning ritual and if the tank is too small and there is not enough space to hide from each other, you can end up with a single fish instead of a pair. :( In a longer tank, more hiding spots can be placed so that breaks up the line of sight.

Here's an article on breeding apistos that might help you. (https://www.tfhmagazine.com/articles/freshwater/the-apistogramma-aquarium ) I know they say a 10 gal is fine in the article but the breeders I've seen all used 20 longs. Just sayin' ;)

Ahh ok I think it will have to wait for now thanks for your help!

Just throwing this out there. If the pr have bred previously, they should be ok together in the small tank. You could try them in the small tank and see how they go. If they fight, then move them back into the main tank.

You could also move the bristlenose out for a few weeks while they breed, or partition the big tank to keep the bristlenose away from the cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom