Breeding basics, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone, I'm new to breeding but I want to ask a few questions.

First off, what is the ideal breeding tank set up, aqua scape, size etc... or does that vary for every fish? How do I initiate the breeding of the fish?

Second, at what age can I move the fry into a breeder box and the furthermore into the tank

Thirdly, I've read that when some people Breed they get 40-50 fish. I'm looking at getting maybe 5-10 when I breed. Is this possible and if so how. This is just because I would like to be able to sustain a tank that I will not have I go out and restock every 5 years. Also I know about inbreeding and know I will have to go out and get some new fish to prevent this.

Lastly, what can give me the best results on raising fry. From day one to about month three what should I be doing for them.

I would also like to thank anyone who take the time to answer all these questions. I have never tried but I know there are a lot of very smart and experienced people on the forum who can help me.

Thanks

It varies a lot with different fish. Give us a couple fish you are thinking of so we can help you better.

Specifically there are four

3 are tetras
-black phantoms
-cardinal
-rummynose

And sterbai Corydoras

my advice is to try the corys tetras are really hard to breed and in my experience I have had better luck with the corys. and if you do go with the corys then message me and I can give you a complete run down of how to of corys from set ups to sexing to breeding and finally raising them.

Back
Top Bottom