Breeding Betta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few questions about breeding betta fish. First of all, is it okay if there's sand in the breeding tank? It already has the fish in it, but I could work something out if it absolutely can't. Also, the male made his bubble nest, but then the female wrecked it and disapproved. When will he build another? And finally, does anybody know the possible outcomes of a red double tail cambodian male, and royal blue veiltail? Thanks ahead of time! :) :fish2:
-Kyle

I have a few questions about breeding betta fish. First of all, is it okay if there's sand in the breeding tank? It already has the fish in it, but I could work something out if it absolutely can't. Also, the male made his bubble nest, but then the female wrecked it and disapproved. When will he build another? And finally, does anybody know the possible outcomes of a red double tail cambodian male, and royal blue veiltail? Thanks ahead of time! :) :fish2:
-Kyle

Unfortunately, Bettas have been so overbred that there is no telling what can come from a pairing. I had one pair that produced Deltatails, Halfmoons, doubletails and regulars. To say I was surprised ( and delighted) would be an understatement. :D

As for the sand, I prefer to breed my Bettas in clean, new, bare tanks. This way, there is no problems for the male to find the falling eggs, and no place for the fry's food to hide from them. Personal choice, I know, but highly effective for many years ;)

the only reason that bare-bottom tanks are preferred is so the male can see and pick up his eggs easier. Eggs are about the size of a grain of sand, but are a bit different in coloring, so I dont see a big issue with it...gravel would be a different story.

did you condition them? If you didnt, then the female probably isnt in the mood/doesnt have eggs and therefore wrecked the nest.
The male will eventually build another but it's all up to the female now.

A DTxVT will most likely give you wide dorsalled VT's. It would take you till atleast f3 to get anything like a double veil tail.
VT's are the most dominant gene out there, and basically anything that is crossed with them will result in sloppy VT's. I.E. a Crowntail crossed with a VT would result in A VT but with extended rays making it look messy. A Halfmoon x VT would be a VT with maybe a slightly wider tail....so on so forth.
Color options will mostly be blue/red multis, blue with red irid, red with blue irid, etc.

what are you breeding for? pet or show?

Once bred, do you sell to LFS's?

Only if they want to buy them ;):lol:

Most of my fish went to stores that have bought fish from me for years. Check with your local stores to see if they are interested in your fish. I know most of the chain stores do not buy from locals that have not been approved from corporate headquarters. Mom & Pop shops might be your best bet if you don't anticipate a steady supply of fish.

Hope this helps (y)

Once bred, do you sell to LFS's?

I personally refuse to sell to LFS's. first, because I know my bettas are better than LFS quality, and lastly, I dont agree with how my LFS's try to sell them to customers. Both of them keep bettas in Walmart cups and sell them as a "bogo" deal; buy a 1/4g betta kit & get a betta free!
It drives me insane. I normally cull before selling my bettas to LFS's although I do send my cories and tiger Endlers there, only because I know they promote the right lifestyle for them.

I'm sure that certain LFS's treat things differently...so I'm not 100% against selling to petstores, just in my area.

I personally refuse to sell to LFS's. first, because I know my bettas are better than LFS quality, and lastly, I dont agree with how my LFS's try to sell them to customers. Both of them keep bettas in Walmart cups and sell them as a "bogo" deal; buy a 1/4g betta kit & get a betta free!
It drives me insane. I normally cull before selling my bettas to LFS's although I do send my cories and tiger Endlers there, only because I know they promote the right lifestyle for them.

I'm sure that certain LFS's treat things differently...so I'm not 100% against selling to petstores, just in my area.

Yeah, I am selling all of them to an LFS, except my strongest for future breeding. I plan on breeding a beautiful strand that I love! The LFS I setup actually has great conditions. There is a 150 gallon with tons of small little dividers for the males, and a community section for the females.

the only reason that bare-bottom tanks are preferred is so the male can see and pick up his eggs easier. Eggs are about the size of a grain of sand, but are a bit different in coloring, so I dont see a big issue with it...gravel would be a different story.

did you condition them? If you didnt, then the female probably isnt in the mood/doesnt have eggs and therefore wrecked the nest.
The male will eventually build another but it's all up to the female now.

A DTxVT will most likely give you wide dorsalled VT's. It would take you till atleast f3 to get anything like a double veil tail.
VT's are the most dominant gene out there, and basically anything that is crossed with them will result in sloppy VT's. I.E. a Crowntail crossed with a VT would result in A VT but with extended rays making it look messy. A Halfmoon x VT would be a VT with maybe a slightly wider tail....so on so forth.
Color options will mostly be blue/red multis, blue with red irid, red with blue irid, etc.

what are you breeding for? pet or show?

Like I said, I'm going to breed for pet stores. If I really get into it, I will eventually do shows.

Hey I have a blueish purple and white body veiltail betta (male) I want to breed him with a green or blue (female) betta but what color would they become more like the male or will it be all mixed up?

And do I need anything special as in my breeding tank or Is my regular tank ok

Sand is not good in a breeding tank!
You have to do daily cleanings,the sand will make awfully hard,that is the main reason us breeders use bare bottom tanks.

Back
Top Bottom