Breeding Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, i have a 5 and 10 gallon hanging around and I was thinking of breeding bettas. I work a fish store so the fry have a place to go if I can't sell of rehome some of them.

I want to use the 5 as separated home for the male and female with combination of clear and non-transparent dividers. The 10 as a grow out for the fry once they're old of enough to be moved.

I was thinking of culturing vinegar eels for food for newly hatched fry. I've read the bbs can cause swim bladder.

I know how to breed them I'm just wondering if a 10 is suitable to grow out.

I'm open to any input or suggestions!

The plan sounds good so far. My suggestions would be:

-Grow green water and the V-EELs for first foods
-You can get instant green water powder on Aquabid Food-Live
-Brine shrimp are fin once the fry are old enough
You never said exactly how you're going to spawn the, so here goes.

Once the fry are free swimming place them in the ten. Add enough green water to cloud the tank-It should disapear in 24 hours.

Within the first 4-5 days you will start to see size differences in the fry. Cull the small guys and feed to parents.

At 4 weeks you can start seeing the fry with large finage-Cull again
Invest in a case or two of canning jars-mason jars. Once the fry get over crowded give some away for postage or bring to pet store of cheap.

Take the best looking fish a 4-5 wks and jar them up. Use an eye dropper to feed baby brine shrimp 2-3 times daily and change out the jars every 2-3 days. You will quickly figure out how many drops to put in each jar, unless you like washing jars.

Watch the remaining fish and as some develop a temper-flaring at the others jar them up.

Personally, I'd use a 20L as a grow out tank. If you want my exact methond just P.M. me

Thanks for the information! I was thinking of using the 5 gallon as the grow out and jarring the parents after egg laying but I thought it was too small?

Back
Top Bottom