Breeding Bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc166

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thoughts, experiences, tips?

I'm in the process of buying a 10 gallon tank. I already have a 5 gallon. How should I set this up? I already know it's risky for a female and a male betta to be housed together all the time. I was thinking I'd keep one in the 5 gallon and the other in the 10 gallon with 6 neon tetras but where would I breed? A third tank? Help?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know a lot about breeding bettas but all I do know is that you're going to need a lot of tanks. Also getting quality bettas to breed in the first place is a challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The male will tell you he's ready to breed via a bubble nest.

As stated you will need a lot of tanks. Bettas lay a lot of eggs.

Add female to male tank(or vice versa) and don't be surprised if she gets torn up some. The male is like a wife beater lol.

you will know if he doesn't like her, she will be dead or constantly harassed.

Caleb

I would suggest you read the following: breeding bettas

There are 4 parts to this and the links are all on the left side of the page. This is a good overview of what to expect and need when breeding Bettas.

Hope this helps (y)

I agree with Andy. I'm a betta breeder and websites/articles like those are life savers. Also, you will need 30+ tanks for the babies after they hit 8-10 weeks old. On top of that, you need two spawning pairs of the same strand just in case one pair doesn't work out. Each breeder will need their own tank too. So you are looking at 34 tanks at the minimum. Not mention youll need fry food and a culture of worms which need their own tank kind of environment. And breeding gear is pretty expensive. If you want a good spawn with many healthy bettas, you are going to need to front at least $200. I started with nothing and spent about $270 to start breeding. And I stayed on the cheap side. I suggest a LOT of research. Best of luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom