Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeding blue rams.

How do I go about getting a pair and actually breeding them. Currently I have 3 rams. 2 female 1 male. Do you think I'll get a pair? Also my temp is 80 and my pH is 8.0 (don't know what I can do about that). Also my male will chase the females whenever they enter his sight. After he chases then off they'll always come back to him though. Is that mating behavior? They're in a tank with 5 rosy barbs and a pleco that minds his own business. Any help and tips is appreciated.

3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok a few things to start off.

1. The pH is way too high to successfully breed rams. I have the most success at around 6.5.

2. What is your water hardness? Rams like it very soft.

3. The extra female will be subject to a lot of aggression once a pair forms. I usually stick to one male and one female.

4. The males do like to chase the women folk quite a bit. As long as she can get away from him when he's in the chasing mood it's not a problem. Lots of plants, wood, etc helps a lot.

5. What temp do you keep your tank at? They are more likely to spawn if it is around 82 or so.

6. Once a pair forms you can help induce spawning via a large water change with RO water to further reduce hardness and lower nitrates combined with a temperature raise of a few degrees.

These are the parameters I aim for to spawn rams.

pH : 6.5
Nitrates: <10
KH: 2 - 3 degrees
GH: 5 degrees
Temp: 80 raise to 82

Also feeding them a variety of foods will get them in prime shape for spawning.

Lastly don't worry if they eat up a few batches of eggs at the beginning. It can take them a few tries to get the hang of things.

Tags
blue ram, blue rams, breed, breeding, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com