Breeding Bristlenose pleco help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harrytownend

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planning on breeding bristlenose pleco in a 40 gallon tank. I would only keep the pair in the tank and when they spawn I would move the female to my 115 gallon display tank. However, I don't know how the tank should be set up. I have a submersible filter but could I cover the intake with tights to stop the fry being sucked in? Is it beneficial to use a substrate or could I go with a bare bottom tank as it will be in my garage and I am not going for aesthetics. Also, what is the best way to stimulate spawning in the female? Should I do a series of large water changes over a week or raise the temperature slighty? Also, do plecos need spawning mops as well as plenty of driftwood and caves? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to mess up

:thanks:

First the setup, pool filter sand or a very small grade of gravel for the substrate is much better than a bare bottom tank. A couple of clay or ceramic "logs" are best for spawning sites, and a good flow rate through the filter also helps.
No reason to move the female after she spawns, and water changes/temp fluctuations aren't necessary to trigger spawning IME. Get a pair or trio, feed them once daily with NLS pellets, and once weekly with canned green beans. French cut are best, they sink on their own, the straight cut beans sometimes float.

I am planning on breeding bristlenose pleco in a 40 gallon tank. I would only keep the pair in the tank and when they spawn I would move the female to my 115 gallon display tank. However, I don't know how the tank should be set up. I have a submersible filter but could I cover the intake with tights to stop the fry being sucked in? Is it beneficial to use a substrate or could I go with a bare bottom tank as it will be in my garage and I am not going for aesthetics. Also, what is the best way to stimulate spawning in the female? Should I do a series of large water changes over a week or raise the temperature slighty? Also, do plecos need spawning mops as well as plenty of driftwood and caves? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to mess up :thanks:
I don't think you can mess up breeding BNP. I've had them breed with and without substrate. Without was easier for me- I could keep the bottom really clean without accidentally siphoning up fry that I couldn't see against the substrate. Your vision may vary ;)
Mine have always spawned in the clay logs. I remove the female just so that she doesn't lay more eggs when the fry are free swimming. Those females will run the males ragged if you let them! As well as veggies, I give mine freeze dried black worms. More so prior to spawning, as the male tends to fast while he is tending the eggs if there are any tank mates. While he is tending to the eggs, I culture some algae and biofilm for the fry by putting some small driftwood pieces in a container of tank water in the sun (with an air-driven sponge filter for circulation).
I have found the stocking over the intake gets clogged too quickly and while it stops fry being sucked into the impeller blade, it can still suck them to the intake where they'll likely die anyway. I use home made sponge per filters or just sponge filters.
Good luck, and enjoy! They are the cutest little guys around :)

search

I have this filter running on the tank but with only one sponge. Is this ok for fry? Or do I need to get a different filter?

i just use a hang over the side filter and put a sponge over the intake. your pics arnt showing up

Back
Top Bottom