Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Breeding bristlenose plecos.

Ive done lots of research online, but I was wondering if anyone who has ever bred these would give me advice? I'm not sure if mine are male or female as they are two young. They live in a 30g with the following levels: 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite 5ppm nitrate 7.5pH and a temp of 25c.
__________________

__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: berlin NH
Posts: 198
the male will grow bristles on his nose, female won't have any. you will need some sort of cave for them to breed, when they are done breeding the male stays with the eggs, and fans them with his fins till they are ready to emerge from the cave
__________________

__________________
biss444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by biss444 View Post
the male will grow bristles on his nose, female won't have any. you will need some sort of cave for them to breed, when they are done breeding the male stays with the eggs, and fans them with his fins till they are ready to emerge from the cave
Went out and purchased a cave. Still can't sex them yet as they are too young. Thanks for your help!
__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Fisherjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 37
It takes between 9 months to over a year before these plecos become sexually mature.

Please keep us informed if you see signs of whiskers!
__________________
Fisherjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherjoe View Post
It takes between 9 months to over a year before these plecos become sexually mature.

Please keep us informed if you see signs of whiskers!

Definately! No signs yet but they hang out together !
__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bob mccoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,441
i breed mine in 10 gallon tanks. 1 male and 2 female i use a piece of 4 inch square piece of grey slate tile and dig a hole in the gravel and lay it over it. as they become breeding age i do a 20 percent cold water change daily. they also like some current over there cave so i use a h.o.b. with a sponge filter on the end set it so the water flows down over the cave. after they lay eggs it takes 5 days to hatch then another 4 days till u feed the baby's. i use baby brine shrimp and crushed alge waffers
__________________
bob mccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Kepo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherjoe
It takes between 9 months to over a year before these plecos become sexually mature.

Please keep us informed if you see signs of whiskers!
Is that for both female and males?
__________________
Kepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West jordan, Utah
Posts: 94
At about 2" of length is when you will start seeing signs of mating depending on grow out diet. When a male gets a decent amount of bristle on its snout at some point it will take "a cave". Bristle nose are prominent breeders and will even breed in a crevice and underneath decoration. Once the male has found a suitable home to raise fry he is ready. The female will begin to get very very plump otherwise "gravid" with eggs. There is a clear difference in a well fed bristle nose and a gravid female. Once the female starts fattening up the next step will be to watch for the male fanning his fins face first in the cave. It's a method used to bring the female to the cave. Generally within a week or two of this you will find a female hanging out around the cave and then a ball of eggs in the back, closed off end. Like the previous post said cold water helps trigger the first few spawns. My advise.... Along with baby brine crush up finely, a quality shrimp mix flake with at least 50% protein for your babies and feed this to you currant plecos as well. Bristle nose love all types of food. They really love fresh veggies and meaty mixes
__________________
Fallout801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Samzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout801 View Post
At about 2" of length is when you will start seeing signs of mating depending on grow out diet. When a male gets a decent amount of bristle on its snout at some point it will take "a cave". Bristle nose are prominent breeders and will even breed in a crevice and underneath decoration. Once the male has found a suitable home to raise fry he is ready. The female will begin to get very very plump otherwise "gravid" with eggs. There is a clear difference in a well fed bristle nose and a gravid female. Once the female starts fattening up the next step will be to watch for the male fanning his fins face first in the cave. It's a method used to bring the female to the cave. Generally within a week or two of this you will find a female hanging out around the cave and then a ball of eggs in the back, closed off end. Like the previous post said cold water helps trigger the first few spawns. My advise.... Along with baby brine crush up finely, a quality shrimp mix flake with at least 50% protein for your babies and feed this to you currant plecos as well. Bristle nose love all types of food. They really love fresh veggies and meaty mixes
Thanks that's great information! Ill definitely use that!
__________________

__________________
Samzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, breeding, bristlenose, pleco, plecos

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.