Breeding bristlenose plecos.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive done lots of research online, but I was wondering if anyone who has ever bred these would give me advice? I'm not sure if mine are male or female as they are two young. They live in a 30g with the following levels: 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite 5ppm nitrate 7.5pH and a temp of 25c.

the male will grow bristles on his nose, female won't have any. you will need some sort of cave for them to breed, when they are done breeding the male stays with the eggs, and fans them with his fins till they are ready to emerge from the cave

the male will grow bristles on his nose, female won't have any. you will need some sort of cave for them to breed, when they are done breeding the male stays with the eggs, and fans them with his fins till they are ready to emerge from the cave

Went out and purchased a cave. Still can't sex them yet as they are too young. Thanks for your help!

It takes between 9 months to over a year before these plecos become sexually mature.

Please keep us informed if you see signs of whiskers!

i breed mine in 10 gallon tanks. 1 male and 2 female i use a piece of 4 inch square piece of grey slate tile and dig a hole in the gravel and lay it over it. as they become breeding age i do a 20 percent cold water change daily. they also like some current over there cave so i use a h.o.b. with a sponge filter on the end set it so the water flows down over the cave. after they lay eggs it takes 5 days to hatch then another 4 days till u feed the baby's. i use baby brine shrimp and crushed alge waffers

Fisherjoe said:
It takes between 9 months to over a year before these plecos become sexually mature.

Please keep us informed if you see signs of whiskers!

Is that for both female and males?

At about 2" of length is when you will start seeing signs of mating depending on grow out diet. When a male gets a decent amount of bristle on its snout at some point it will take "a cave". Bristle nose are prominent breeders and will even breed in a crevice and underneath decoration. Once the male has found a suitable home to raise fry he is ready. The female will begin to get very very plump otherwise "gravid" with eggs. There is a clear difference in a well fed bristle nose and a gravid female. Once the female starts fattening up the next step will be to watch for the male fanning his fins face first in the cave. It's a method used to bring the female to the cave. Generally within a week or two of this you will find a female hanging out around the cave and then a ball of eggs in the back, closed off end. Like the previous post said cold water helps trigger the first few spawns. My advise.... Along with baby brine crush up finely, a quality shrimp mix flake with at least 50% protein for your babies and feed this to you currant plecos as well. Bristle nose love all types of food. They really love fresh veggies and meaty mixes

At about 2" of length is when you will start seeing signs of mating depending on grow out diet. When a male gets a decent amount of bristle on its snout at some point it will take "a cave". Bristle nose are prominent breeders and will even breed in a crevice and underneath decoration. Once the male has found a suitable home to raise fry he is ready. The female will begin to get very very plump otherwise "gravid" with eggs. There is a clear difference in a well fed bristle nose and a gravid female. Once the female starts fattening up the next step will be to watch for the male fanning his fins face first in the cave. It's a method used to bring the female to the cave. Generally within a week or two of this you will find a female hanging out around the cave and then a ball of eggs in the back, closed off end. Like the previous post said cold water helps trigger the first few spawns. My advise.... Along with baby brine crush up finely, a quality shrimp mix flake with at least 50% protein for your babies and feed this to you currant plecos as well. Bristle nose love all types of food. They really love fresh veggies and meaty mixes

Thanks that's great information! Ill definitely use that!

Back
Top Bottom