Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Haha thanks. I've been planning this for a while!
__________________

__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
What would be some easier type cichlids to breed besides convicts, maybe some where the female holds the eggs in Their mouth.

Any recommendations??
__________________

__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411°N/88.3161°W
Posts: 6,932
I'm not sure why some people make breeding fish out to be some mythical challenge, like any job you need the right tools and some basic knowledge. I'm in the top 20 breeders in GCCA so trust me when I say breeding cichlids isn't all the difficult. The biggest obstacle when breeding these types of fish is aggression, which again with the right tools like egg crate dividers this can easily be overcome...to some extent. The next issue is having the proper tank to house and create a enviorement to breed, trying to breed fish in a 10g will be difficult. With a little planning I truly believe anyone can breed some of the difficult fish. Most fish it's a matter of just adding water then poof you've got fry, some you'll need to plan a little better.

Back to your question about what to breed in 10g tanks, you'll be limited to smaller dwarf species. I would recommend Shell dwellers to start. They are facinating to watch and are easy to breed, plus they're uncommon enough there is a demand...again make sure you have a out with the fry.

Good luck and here's some decent reading on Shellie's:

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=65

And the only place I order africans:

http://www.davesfish.com/
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
You'd be surprised.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I'm not sure why some people make breeding fish out to be some mythical challenge, like any job you need the right tools and some basic knowledge. I'm in the top 20 breeders in GCCA so trust me when I say breeding cichlids isn't all the difficult. The biggest obstacle when breeding these types of fish is aggression, which again with the right tools like egg crate dividers this can easily be overcome...to some extent. The next issue is having the proper tank to house and create a enviorement to breed, trying to breed fish in a 10g will be difficult. With a little planning I truly believe anyone can breed some of the difficult fish. Most fish it's a matter of just adding water then poof you've got fry, some you'll need to plan a little better.

Back to your question about what to breed in 10g tanks, you'll be limited to smaller dwarf species. I would recommend Shell dwellers to start. They are facinating to watch and are easy to breed, plus they're uncommon enough there is a demand...again make sure you have a out with the fry.

Good luck and here's some decent reading on Shellie's:

The Cichlid Room Companion - Shell Dwelling Cichlids from Lake Tanganyika by Peter A. Lewis

And the only place I order africans:

Dave's Rare Aquarium Fish-Price List

You'd be surprised at how many people I've met over the years and tried to help breed fish just don't get it or believe that it is too hard.
Yes, there is a system and breeding fish to people such as yourself and myself might come as easy as water from the faucet but that's not always the case for everyone. Today's breeders are lucky in respect that they will be breeding mostly tank raised fish. I was trained in breeding with mostly the wild caught fish. Some were a challenge some were very easy.
What every new breeder should get used to doing is culturing fry foods (i.e. microworms, infusoria, brine shrimp, etc), pairing off fish, and creating the situations that induce fish to breed. Once they know these things, they apply to almost any type of fish and not just Cichlids. This is how my mentor stocked his pet store, he bred every fish in the back of his store that he sold in the front of the store. This same knowledge and experience was how I was able to breed millions of all kinds of fish for the trade. No, it's not hard when you know what you're doing. I'm just suggesting easier fish to get Loukas 42 started. If you know of easier fish that have a larger success ratio, suggest away

BTW, you might be surprised how many fish will breed in 10 gal tanks
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
It great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
A 10G would be a good start for a fry tank you need everything but gravel some people use it in their fry tanks or sand. You can feed your fry a lot of different things like crushed flakes, microorganism, or brine shrimp.
It's great you're learning FISHIE but everything I explain to you does not apply to all cichlids. Mbunas coming out of the mouth might eat crushed flakes but a newly free swimming convict cichlid won't. Different types of fish require different types of food.
Plus, some cichlid fry would do better in sand or gravel and others in bare tanks.

The common thing for all fry tanks is a sponge filter as the only filtering device. This way, the fry can't be sucked in

Just remember, everything is situational
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager

It's great you're learning FISHIE but everything I explain to you does not apply to all cichlids. Mbunas coming out of the mouth might eat crushed flakes but a newly free swimming convict cichlid won't. Different types of fish require different types of food.
Plus, some cichlid fry would do better in sand or gravel and others in bare tanks.

The common thing for all fry tanks is a sponge filter as the only filtering device. This way, the fry can't be sucked in

Just remember, everything is situational
I didn't know that >.< sorry about that!! I've just been told different stuff which confuses me!
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
I'm only going to use 10s for the fry. I plan on having bigger tanks for the actual cichlids to be in.
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas42 View Post
I'm only going to use 10s for the fry. I plan on having bigger tanks for the actual cichlids to be in.
A basic setup for a fry tank is going to include: Tank, Heater, Sponge filter, Air Pump, Cover & Light.
If you are going to hatch out the eggs in the seperate fry tank, you will also need methylene blue and an airstone.

Moving young fry can be very stressful on them so you may want to just spawn them in the tank you want to grow them in. Community breeding is a crap shoot and you will have a lot of fighting amongst the adult fish. On frequent occasions, spawns may be smaller and have a lot of unfertilized eggs. (Usually the male is chasing away the intruders and not doing his part with the female.)
The best breeding method is to set up a pair of fish by themselves and let them get down to business without distractions. There are some variations and exceptions to this method so it will depend on which fish you do choose to breed.
I suggest you do some research on the subject to get a better understanding of what's involved in the breeding of the fish of your choosing. Sites, even like this one, are filled with people with good intentions but not necessary good or accurate info (Sorry Fishie .) Talk to and listen to the people that are breeding the fish you want to breed for the most accurate advise.

Keep us posted
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Haha I know how the tanks are supposed to be set up equipment wise. Sorry for not saying that. I meant like fish room wise. Like size of tanks. How many and stuff like that. Grow out. Fry. Different kind of tanks.
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 6,182
here's the thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas42 View Post
Haha I know how the tanks are supposed to be set up equipment wise. Sorry for not saying that. I meant like fish room wise. Like size of tanks. How many and stuff like that. Grow out. Fry. Different kind of tanks.

Here's the thing, if you don't know what kind of fish specifically you are going to be breeding, how can you expect someone to tell you how to set up your fish room?
When I was breeding Angels, I had 300-10 gal tanks and 50- 75 gal. grow out vats. When I was breeding Oscars, I had 13 custom made 47 gal tanks and 12-300 gal grow out vats. When I was breeding Jewel cichlids, I had about 5-10 gal tanks and 6-30 Gal tanks to grow them out. When I was breeding Gold Severums, I had 6-55 gal tanks and 10-75 gal grow out vats. (All of these were indoors by the way ) With my current Bettas, I have 10 assorted sized tanks ranging from 2 1/2 gals to 60 gals and a system that holds about 30 gal of water. Get the picture?

Decide then decorate
__________________
Andy Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Oh dang. Yeah I see. I'll think about what I want to breed first.
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Can anybody name some cichlids that carry the eggs in their mouth when they breed?
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas42
Can anybody name some cichlids that carry the eggs in their mouth when they breed?
Most of the African cichlids red zebras,Kenyis,rusty cichlid, acei, electric yellow lab and bumblebee cichlid are some. There are a lot I just got these down!
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #34
member

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 42.2411°N/88.3161°W
Posts: 6,932
Two of my favorites are Satanoperca Leucostica and Bujurquina vittata.
__________________
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
How much space do those Africans you said require?
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas42
How much space do those Africans you said require?
I would say around a 55G.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
For one breeding pair!?
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas42
For one breeding pair!?
Lol oops no for like a big community of them! I don't know for a breeding pair since for aggression they need large amount of space.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 237
Oh haha I see. And cause I really really really want to breed cichlids!!!!
__________________
Loukas42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukas42
Oh haha I see. And cause I really really really want to breed cichlids!!!!
I can tell you are get eager! I learned you have to be patient for breeding them!
__________________

__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breed, breeding, breeding cichlids, cichlid, cichlids, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.