breeding compatability question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilliemoon5ilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently decided to breed guppies along with my mollies and platys. Can I keep them (the adults) all in the same tank? I added a couple of guppies two days ago and the female died already. I don't want to keep getting guppies if they'll get killed by my mollies. It could have been a fluke. Anyone know much about this?

I don't know so much as to why your female died. Maybe stress? I can advise you on whether it is a good idea to keep all those species together. From what I've heard,guppies and mollies can interbreed. I googled the cross and I think the resulting fish are "unappealing and unnatural". Guppies can also interbreed with endlers, but their offspring just look like mini guppies. I've heard it rumored that platys can interbreed with swordtails, however it is not recommended because a male swordtail's gonopodium (sp.) will hurt/harm female platys. Basically what I'm saying is that you should be ok to breed mollies and platys in the same tank or platys and guppies, but I would not personally recommend all 3 species in the same aquarium.

i hasd the same problem when i put guppies in my tank with mollies . so i justthought i would upgrade to a proper breeding system and breed them all seprate i have 6 tanks with all diffrent strains of guppies and mollies along with some swordtails

depends of the size of the tank. in a thirty gallon i had swords guppies and platty and mollies, with no problems along with alot of cover, i loved using java moss in my breeding tanks, very easy to maintain with anykind of lighting, not picky and will spread,

Back
Top Bottom