Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: first read my story then pick
add more females 3 60.00%
add more males 0 0%
sell female and get another 0 0%
sell male and get another 0 0%
sell both and get 1 male and 1 female 1 20.00%
other 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to hops523
breeding convicts

Ok well at first I had 4 convicts 2 males 2 females. I had one pair I moved the other really small male into another tank, but kept the female in. Once the pair that I had spawned and the fry hatched they ate them. So a couple of weeks later I saw some more eggs, but this time the male spawned with the other female I had, this time the fry survived but when I tried to move them to another tank they died. So now that female died after she had them. So I have 2 convicts now a male and a female, will these two ever spawn again? Is there anything I could do to encourage them to breed? Oh yeah and one last question since the male and female fight a lot too should I just sell one of them and get another one? And if you pick other in the poll please tell me what your other option is.

Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

they will spawn just give them time.use a dither fish.just feed them good and you will have fry in no time.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I don't think that they will spawn again, because they always fight, you may be right but im just not sure that they will
Old 05-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

they will mine fight to.then they usually breed.You could always add one more female so the male dont bother just one female. How big is the male and female???
Old 05-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Are your convicts a pair? Mine used to be but now they arent. I was thinking of putting another female in there, but the problem is that the male is 3.5 inches and the female is 3 inches. Im afraid if I mpu another female in there then she would be pushed around, because the convicts at the lfs and petsmart are usually 1 inch, 1.5 inches, or 2 inches. I am going to go to petsmart today to see if they have any bigger ones, unless someone knows of any place online to get big convicts.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i Have a 4in male with a 3 in male with a 1-1/2 female and 2in female.the males will switch female they like to spawn with.i had a 3 in female but she keep eating the eggs.so i gave her away.the 2 in female will raise the eggs to free swimming then i usualy move them.and this is in a 55gal. I usualy have 2 pairs spawning at the same time.

Tags
breed, breeding, convict, convicts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com