Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

breeding cories

can you breed albino with bronxe cories????

Old 06-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding Corys

Hi. When you say "albino" I assume you mean an albino C. aeneus. Since the bronze or green Cory are also C. aeneus, they will spawn, readily. If you have albino C. sterbai or C. paleatus - then, although genetically possible - this practice is discouraged. - Frank/Guppyman

Guppyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 03:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

yes they are all c.aeneus
thanks for clearing that up for me
Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

can someone please tell me the way they breed their corys with the most success
Old 07-02-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Breeding Corys

C. aeneus require no special treatment or conditioning to spawn. Clean water, a varied diet (live blackworms ALWAYS help) and a decent size colony for your breeders to pair off from. I find Cory eggs frequently in my tanks without me doing anything. Mother Nature seems to do quite well without my help.

The following info is courtesy of Planet Catfish.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2001-12.htm

Keep a shoal of at least 6 individuals - ideal first catfish for a beginner's community aquarium.

Breeding is easily accomplished with captive raised stock. Some colour varieties are more challenging than others. Given the presence of a suitably egg-laden female and a mature male or two, spawning can be triggered by a large, cool water change. Try changing 30-40% of the aquarium water (at 21°C) and bring the temperature down to 16°C. Do this slowly over an hour or two. The fish should respond by spawning in the classic "T" formation method.
Here, using one of his pectoral fins, the male clamps the female to his side by her barbels and fertilizes a small batch of eggs held within the protective basket formed by her pelvic fins. The adhesive eggs are then placed on plants or aquarium walls and the process repeated. The eggs take 3-4 days to hatch. It is safe to leave well fed parents with the eggs, but some breeders prefer to remove the eggs, or indeed parents, to avoid any temptation of an easy snack.

For the first few days of their life, pre-soaked powdered flake food should be fed to the fry. After the first 3 or 4 days, newly hatched brineshrimp can also be sparingly used to bring on the fishes growth. As the fish grow more and more foods can be offered in line with the size of the developing juveniles. Adult colouration is reached in around nine weeks.

Good luck! - Frank/Guppyman
Guppyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for all that info, ill tell you how it goes

Tags
breed, breeding, cories

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com