Breeding CPD's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I recently purchased a group of CPD's and I'm thinking of eventually breeding them now I have an empty tank to do it in. I've done some initial research into it and it doesn't seem too hard to do (in theory anyway :S ) and my LFS has already said they'd happily purchase the young ones if I'm successful. Has anyone on here ever tried this before? Any tips?

Pardon my ignorance....

Hi all, I recently purchased a group of CPD's and I'm thinking of eventually breeding them now I have an empty tank to do it in. I've done some initial research into it and it doesn't seem too hard to do (in theory anyway :S ) and my LFS has already said they'd happily purchase the young ones if I'm successful. Has anyone on here ever tried this before? Any tips?

For us old timers who don't use TEXT or short hand;) What are CPDs? If I knew that, I might be able to answer your questions :D Thanks (y)

Andy Sager said:
For us old timers who don't use TEXT or short hand;) What are CPDs? If I knew that, I might be able to answer your questions :D Thanks (y)

My apologies, I've seen celestial pearl danios frequently referred to as CPD's on this forum so assumed it was the common reference to these fish, I was wrong :D oops

jetajockey said:
Celestial Pearl Danios aka Galaxy Rasbora. The best method I have bred them with is using a DIY egg trap found here DIY Egg Trap

thanks jeta :) do you also use floating plants for the fry to hide in once they hatch?

Ah ok, I was originally planning on moving 1 male and two females to my empty tank to spawn then removing them back to my main tank. That being said it does make more sense to let them spawn on the egg catcher in my main tank then move it to the empty lol thanks! :D that being said if I do it that way there's a chance my other egg layers may spawn in the same spot, would having different types of fry in the same rearing tank be ok?

Yes, I've done that before with danio choprai in the same tank as CPD's. Both would spawn on the egg trap. I found it a lot less stressful (and easier) to just pull the egg trap out every other day and check it for eggs rather than moving the fish from tank to tank.

Ah ok cool :D do you just tip the eggs out of the egg trap into the rearing tank? (dumb question I know :S )

Actually I'd dump the contents of the egg trap into a small white container and leave it there for a few days. I'd take a pipette and remove any fungused eggs, and usually within 2-3 days the eggs have hatched and will be wiggling around. At that point I'd add them to the fry tank. The reason is because the fry tank had snails or shrimp in it and I didn't want to risk the eggs being eaten, the wigglers can get away from a hungry snail.

jetajockey said:
Actually I'd dump the contents of the egg trap into a small white container and leave it there for a few days. I'd take a pipette and remove any fungused eggs, and usually within 2-3 days the eggs have hatched and will be wiggling around. At that point I'd add them to the fry tank. The reason is because the fry tank had snails or shrimp in it and I didn't want to risk the eggs being eaten, the wigglers can get away from a hungry snail.

Ah ok. So once the surviving eggs hatch would I need to acclimatise the fry to the fry tank or just put them straight in? Also is bare bottomed with just some moss ok for them or would they appreciate more cover? Also what's your male:female ratio? I currently have 4 males 2 females, going to pick up more females tomorrow. was going to get 4 to make it 4M:6F, would that be ok or would I need more females?

jetajockey said:
I put moss in the fry tank, never bothered to acclimate them but its not a bad idea. M/F ratio seems to not be too important. In good shape they'll spawn sometimes daily.

Ok thanks :) I only wondered about the M:F ratio as my males have done nothing but chase my 2 females all morning and neither of them seem to have had much of a break

Back
Top Bottom