So, like the titles says, I want to try my hand at breeding celestial pearl danios. I have not bred any fish before, but I have read they aren't hard to breed. I have kept fish and already have a 20 gallon tank. The setup:
This tank will not just be a breeding tank, it will be on display. I know that putting a load of java moss in there will be best for them to breed, but I want the tank to look good. There will be shelter for fry and eggs, in java moss, dwarf hairgrass, and riccia fluitans on the bottom, with more riccia fluitans on the top (floating). At first, I want to see if the fish will breed without any special stuff. It is going to be a 10 gallon, species only tank. I have a 2.5 gallon tank that I might use for fry or to breed the fish in. I was thinking about using an aquatech 10-20 hang on back filter. Is that certain to kill all fry? I am willing to buy a sponge filter instead, but I would prefer to use the Aquatech if possible. The tank will be heavily planted, with DIY CO2
and most likely a finnex fugeray for lighting. There will be mostly gravel and a section of sand. So here are my questions.
1. Are there any tips to improve frys chances of survival? I won't go out of my way to keep them alive yet, but later on I might do a seperate breeding tank.
2. Can I keep red cherry shrimp in the tank as well? Or will they eat the eggs?
3. Will the Aquatech be okay as a filter?
4. What should I feed them, and what are the parmeters to encourage breeding?
5. Will 2.5 gallons be okay to raise fry, or to have a male and female in just to breed in?
6. Anything else I should know about breeding in general?
7. What is your experience with these fish?
You don't have to answer all of these questions if you don't have time, any help would be appreciated!