Breeding CPDs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience breeding celestial pearl danios. I have 4 of them (2m 2f) and one of my females has grown very fat recently. I have them in a 10g very heavily planted with endlers, corydoras habrosas, and a peacock gudeon.
The only spare equipment I have available is a 2.5g and an azoo palm filter. Should I move the 4 of them into that tank with java moss and feed them BBS and do big water changes every few days to induce spawning?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, sounds like a great plan to me. You might want to separate them from the eggs once they have been laid though, since most fish tend to eat their own eggs and fry. Tell us the results!!! If you become a regular at breeding these I would love to buy some from you eventually (y)

Have you ever bred any?

Awesome:) I hope I get babies. I'll update this thread as I go.

I set up the tank bare bottom, with lots if floating plants, a java fern, some moss, and a couple dried leaves.
They absolutely hate it. It was a nightmare catching them, and now ever since they've been in there they've lost color and cower in the java fern leaves. There aren't enough plants for them, but I worry that adding a bunch will make it too hard to catch them again. I read about a DIY egg trap made of plastic canvas, so I might give that a try. If they look too stressed out tomorrow still I'll move them back into the main tank though.

Oh no! Keep posting on the plastic canvas plz I'm very curious about this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so I left the parents in the 2.5g for 2 days. My hopes are not very high though because they looked really stressed and the female is still fat. But I moved them back into the main tank and am now just running a sponge filter on the 2.5g and waiting to see if anything appears.
I haven't had time to make the egg trap yet, but I don't even think I have a space to put it if I did make it..

I set up the tank bare bottom, with lots if floating plants, a java fern, some moss, and a couple dried leaves.
They absolutely hate it. It was a nightmare catching them, and now ever since they've been in there they've lost color and cower in the java fern leaves. There aren't enough plants for them, but I worry that adding a bunch will make it too hard to catch them again. I read about a DIY egg trap made of plastic canvas, so I might give that a try. If they look too stressed out tomorrow still I'll move them back into the main tank though.

Hope you added the old tank water, kept water temp same as the previous tank, etc. Sudden change in water parameters can stress fish. I'd suggest you read journals of people who have bred CPDs, intentionally and successfully[not by chance]. All the best. Will follow this thread.

Yes, I did. I think they just missed the jungle of plants they're used to in my main tank :)
I did read a couple methods from intentional breeders, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of info out about them yet.

Back
Top Bottom