Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Breeding diff. varieties

Just wondering here-
Has anybody else experimented with breeding different varieties of platys (or mollies) together?
I am currently breeding (well not really- it's just happening) tons of different varieties of both platys and mollies.
I have my first surviving platy fry growing now so excited to see what colorations I have. My males are red wag and the females are painted, sun burst, and mickey mouse.
For mollies, I have a black molly male and dalmation molly females. The fry come out with variations- some are mostly black, some are mostly white, some are total dalmation, and I have 1 growing now that appears to be all black like the male.
So interesting! Anyway, let me know if anybody else has played around with this and if so tell me what you got!

#72G
Platys, Tetras, Mollies, Bettas, BN Plecos
#Turtle Pond
Red Eared Slider
HannahJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Mine were mostly Green Lantern maybe also mixed with Green because they were not covered very much in black, and some Blue MM Platy which pretty much ended up being the same colors mainly towards blue and blue green but with a shadow MM on the tail fewer had a dark MM tail.

They are really stunning fish. Found them all homes as there were too many of them all the time!!!

Sounds like you are getting a fun variety. You should post some pics!!!

The ones I have been thinking of trying are called Dwarf Coral Platy. I know there are a few people in CAS who are breeding them and they are so bright and happy looking I might...

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

@Autumnsky the dwarfs are super cute!! I've never seen the green lantern platys before- VERY COOL
I will post pics when they get a little bigger- I'm super excited to see how they turn out!
#72G
Platys, Tetras, Mollies, Bettas, BN Plecos
#Turtle Pond
Red Eared Slider
HannahJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breed, breeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com