Breeding Feeder Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeFeKt

Aquarium Advice Addict
What can i breed for feeder fish that :
a. grows fast
b. breeds fast.
c. multiplies like crazy

and how.

how can i get goldfish to breed, and keep breeding, or anyone know of a link or article i can read up on?

DeFeKt said:
What can i breed for feeder fish that :
a. grows fast
b. breeds fast.
c. multiplies like crazy

and how.

You just described guppies! Get a tank with lots of places to hide, a few guppies and you are all set.

MIGHT try guppies, although, being live bearers how often and how many do they/can they reproduce??

A female guppy can manage a good 6-10 litters per year, and, of course, the young grow and breed, so the numbers begin to increase exponentially in a few weeks.

What are you planning on feeding? If you only have one fish you might have problems getting rid of all those feeders! Especially since it is not agreat idea to feed feederfish too often...In most cases.

My Balloon Mollys breed like mad, i've got 14 fry about a month old, they can have 10-60 fry, and can store upto 3 batches of sperm.

I know guppys will breed, use the 1 male to 3 female rule, or the males start to fight.

HTH

To answer the goldfish question, conditions need to be just right and probably isn't worth the time for feeders (this is for fancy golds so I'm not sure if it applies to feeders/comets). Guppies are the way to go I believe. Here's how to breed goldies:

At least 20 gal is needed for two fish

Live plants are virtually a must

Fish must be at least 3 years of age. Any younger and the female may become egg bound

You need a holding tank of at least 3 to 5 gal

You will need goldfish food for the babies (more later)

If you have all of that, then you can continue the article at the link listed below:
http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/breeding.html

Go the guppy route. They are like rabbits of the water-world. Let them do it on their own.

If you think guppies will produce too many fry, how about a pair of convicts? Never had any desire to breed them myself (I have nowhere to put the fry) but from what I understand, all you need is a male and female- housed by themselves, of course. :mrgreen:

will bee feeding 2 oscars and 2 barramundi....
i want to breed my own so i know they are disease free and come from the same water parameters as my 120 gal...
does temperatre have anything to do with breeding habits of guppies?

Thats going to take a lot of feeder guppies. I had a two oscars while in college and they ate feeder goldfish non stop. I couldn't imagine how many guppies they would eat. I am wanting to say one oscar easily consumed a dozen a week. I would think 3 to 4 feeder guppies would equal a feeder goldfish.

Stick with feeder livebearers versus feeder goldfish...a steady diet of feeder goldfish can cause malnutrition and niacin deficiency, leading to conditions such as hole-in-the-head.

Two oscars and two barramundi will quickly reach a size where they will are barely even notice a feeder guppy (and it will take thousands to get them to such a size)....consider the larger livebearers, pelleted foods, and larger frozen foods....it will be almost impossible to produce enough, large enough feeders to satisfy those four fish, and buying that many will have you skint within no time at all.

DeFeKt said:
GUPPIES ARETHE GO wont need to many, just for a treat,
mainly feed them pellets and blood worms

Yeah, sounds like that is your best bet. Its good you are breeding your own feeders, I would never use store bought feeders again. They are absolutely riddled with disease.

Plus, you have the added bonus of guppies are and attractive fish while they are waiting in your tank. And, their bright colors will make them an easier target for your predators.

Yeah, sounds like that is your best bet. Its good you are breeding your own feeders, I would never use store bought feeders again. They are absolutely riddled with disease.

i agree, i'm forever fighting hole in head with shop bought feeders, and will never buy them again...
picking up sum guppies tonight, and getting the process goniog....
i'm a firm believer in keeping my cichlids environment as close as possible to "home ground" and even though guppies are not they're native "snack" i say it's the thrill of the chase that keeps them happy...

GOT MY GUPPIES!!!
strange ones, got 4 males and 20 females
they're like a pearl colour, changes in the light...long fins
im happy, they're happy, we're all happy

Back
Top Bottom