Breeding Ghost Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you own them or are you thinking about owning them?

If you dont have them yet(or not using them as feeder) i would recomend getting red cherry shrimp for breeding. They are pretyer (imo) and they are easyer to breed. They also are not near as aggressive as ghost shrimp. Ghost shrimp are known for eatingn
there fry.

Get back at me on the first question so i can better help you.

Ghost shrimp take care of the breeding for you. Females will darn near always be berried and release tons of shrimplettes.

The problem is keeping the shrimplettes alive. We've tried and failed miserably. I agree with the above, if you want ornamental shrimp, red cherrys are much easier. We started with about 20 and went to well over 100 in just a few months.

Red cherries are much more awarding. When you start out and small and have a huge colony in a couple months it makes you feel like you have suceeded.

I already have the ghosts, and I was just interested in breeding them because I only have 4 for now. I would have liked some red cherries, but lfs doesn't have any.

I would feed them zucini (spell check) and other fresh veggies. Alot of variatys. It helps induce reproductiin and supports great fry health. Java moss is a must if there are fush in the tank.

Also, ask your lfs if they can order them. I asked mine and they said theyd love to.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but...

One of my females is finally berried! Would someone that knows something about raising these buggers evaluate my plan:

When I notice the female's eggs go from green to a clear with black specs I will move her to a critter carrier with plants, gravel, and water from my mature 10g along with an airstone. I will leave her in there until the eggs have been dropped at which time I will remove her. Then the larvae should live off of the microbes which theoretically would be present from the water and plants I used. I may even throw in some finely crushed flakes since I have heard this may help. Hopefully this will get me through the larval stage.

Any suggestions?

What is this horses guy stupid anyway according to my research ghost shrimp larvae eat detrius which is dead plant matter so try to find a decaying plants and then grind it in fine pieces and sprinkle it over the tank and the larvae should be well fed.

Back
Top Bottom