breeding glo-light tetra info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
A friend of mine is considering doing a species only, amazon biotope with glo-light tetras with the hopes of them breeding..?
So from what i know of them i relayed to her, being this.... They're egg scatterers, they like soft, slightly acidic water around 76-80°F, and it's best to setup a smaller 10-20gal. tank for breeding and fry rearing. Is this at all correct? I do not want to pass on to her wrong info so i came to the aqua guru's. Anyone out there have any experiences with these little guys and would like to share with us it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

A friend of mine is considering doing a species only, amazon biotope with glo-light tetras with the hopes of them breeding..?
So from what i know of them i relayed to her, being this.... They're egg scatterers, they like soft, slightly acidic water around 76-80°F, and it's best to setup a smaller 10-20gal. tank for breeding and fry rearing. Is this at all correct? I do not want to pass on to her wrong info so i came to the aqua guru's. Anyone out there have any experiences with these little guys and would like to share with us it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

You're pretty much on the ball but you should add the following:
Temp should be 78-82
Tetras are noted for eating the eggs so it is recommended to either use some extra heavy cover or some type of grid system or marbles on the bottom so that the eggs can fall between the marbles or through the grate where the parents can't get to them.
Tetras usually spawn at first light and the eggs are photosensitive so dim lights to no lights are best. ( I bred my Tetras near a window that gave them indirect light and the sense of daybreak and nightfall.)
The fry will be small so she will need to learn how to culture infusoria as a first food.

Besides that, one trick to breeding them is to separate the sexes for about a week and condition them well with higher protein foods added to their regular diet. Once reunited, spawning usually occurs within 48 hours if the fish are conditioned well and of course, the correct sexes and mature.

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom