breeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medic747

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 10 gal breeder tank with 6 females and 2 males how long does it take for females to concieve and give birth to the fry!! im new to the breeding of guppies and any help would be appreciated!!!

It's harder to not breed guppies than it is to breed guppies. Chances are your females are already pregnant. Look for the dark circular gravid spots at the rear of the females' bodies.

If all goes well, that 10g will be overflowing with fish in a few months. I started with 4 about a year ago and I've sold probably 100 fish and my 20L is still crowded.

I'm really bad at predicting this, mostly because I don't like to use the breeder nets. The females will blow up like balloons and their gravid spots will get pretty dark right before birth. I prefer to just let my fry fend for themselves in the tank. I've got lots of plant cover though.

I tried putting my female guppy in the Aquahome this morning and it kind of freaked her out and one could see the "confinement" was getting to her, I couldnt bare to see her like that and immediately took her out there. Now I still have one heavily pregnant guppy and dont have a clue when she will give birth.

best bet is get lots of plants and places for the babies or 'fry' to hide in and hope for the best i think its around a month from when they conceive till they give birth im still waiting for my first livebearer to have babies too lol

it takes a guppy 28-32 days to conceive the best way to do them is to set up like a 2gallon tank and put the females in it and then if they dou have babies they are only in the small tank. the gravid spot will turn really black a few days before she will conceive.

Back
Top Bottom