breeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I have only 3 females and 5 males right now, I put only one male with the three females in the five gallon right now so the females don't get too tresses from all the males I have in my bigger tank. I think two of them are pregnant now... im not sure though. I also wanted to only selective breed for now... my mom doesnt want a bunch of babies. Also, keeping the females separated in the past gave me choice and control. But now that they have been with a male, there will be babies for a while.

why do selective breeding?
it's much more fun to leave it all up to chance :)

this could explain why i have lost 2 of my female guppies as i have more males than females and one has disappeared from the tank and the other i found dead earlier on could they have been harassed by the males for mating?

i think one of the females was pregers as well .... i heard that guppies breed quite easily 2

maxwellag said:
I will be breeding guppies soon. I am open to advice, also, will I need one if those breeder systems whee the mother that is pregnant is in one area, and when the babies are born, if they are live bearers they swim down through a crack in the bottom that the mother can't get through, if they are eggs then they sink through the crack so the mother or parents can't eat them. Will I need one? I will have a ten gallon as my main tank for the adult guppies. to start, I will put a breeding pair in my just done cycling five gallon. Then, once the mother is pregnant, I will move her to either the breeder system I asked if I needed, or I can just manually move the fry to the five gallon and let them be without any adults. Any advice? Also, I need some good breeding pairs... especially females. Anyone have any?

I would use the breeder box. You have one right? Here's what I did with my swordtails:

I put the female in the box in a 2.5 gal. She gave birth to 35+ and I kept the babies in the box. Put the female back w her hubby in the ten gal. Then I fed the babys 3x a day. Then once they were big enough I put them outside the box into the tank. Then once they were 2 cm, I put the babies into the ten gal. It works. Now they are almost as big as the adults

BboyTony said:
I leave the fry with the adults, that way some fry will get eaten Becuz if some don't then I'll have a ton of guppies....I know it's mean but my tank cannot support that much guppies

Meany. Actualy I did that with the past 3 pregnancies of my female swordtail

maxwellag said:
The yellow female or the red female could be pregnant from the yellow cobra from another time, when they were in the bag on their way home from the pet store. But I don't really care when they got pregnant. But if the yellow female didn't get pregnant from when they were in the bag, she could be pregnant from a different fish at the pet store.

They no get preggy in baggy. Rule of thumb

Back
Top Bottom