breeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will be breeding guppies soon. I am open to advice, also, will I need one if those breeder systems whee the mother that is pregnant is in one area, and when the babies are born, if they are live bearers they swim down through a crack in the bottom that the mother can't get through, if they are eggs then they sink through the crack so the mother or parents can't eat them. Will I need one? I will have a ten gallon as my main tank for the adult guppies. to start, I will put a breeding pair in my just done cycling five gallon. Then, once the mother is pregnant, I will move her to either the breeder system I asked if I needed, or I can just manually move the fry to the five gallon and let them be without any adults. Any advice? Also, I need some good breeding pairs... especially females. Anyone have any?

with guppies you dont need a breeder tank...they breed so much youll be overflowing with guppies in a few months...just simply net out the fry as you see them...eventually youll grow a big enough supply of them that you wont even have to net the fry to continue breeding

I think you want 1 male to 3 females as well, but I'm not completely positive

huma-huma said:
with guppies you dont need a breeder tank...they breed so much youll be overflowing with guppies in a few months...just simply net out the fry as you see them...eventually youll grow a big enough supply of them that you wont even have to net the fry to continue breeding

Ok. But I will be selling/ giving away alot of them, and I will also be moving alot of them to my ten gallon.

Fishkeeper26 said:
I think you want 1 male to 3 females as well, but I'm not completely positive

I thought it was one male to two females... but either way will definitely work.

do 1m-3fm to reduce stress....the males constantly chase and nip at the females so doing 1-3 will give the females some resting time

jetajockey said:
If you pick the higher end strains of guppies you will not be overrun with them as easily as with some random muttley ones.

That will be a bonus advantage then! :)
But why is that? Why don't they reproduce as fast?

jetajockey said:
lots of inbreeding/line breeding tends to make for less production rates.

Oh. Well I am not going for quantity, I am going for quality. Lol. By quality I mean beautiful colors... but a fish doesn't have to be beautiful to be high quality.

1-2 is what the pet stores recommend however 1-3 is only better. Guppies are breeding machines and after her initial fry drop her next one. May be around 40 fry. If the adults are fed well they and there is enough cover the babies may not even be eaten. However they can be sucked up by the filter so watch out

I never put my adult females into breeding nets or boxes anymore, personally. That seems to stress them out too much. I do net out fry and keep them in a breeding net until they are bigger than bite sized, then I release them back in with the adults.
The first couple of drops have tended to be small, but the fry yield gets bigger later on.

I wouldn't use a breeding tank. It's not really needed with guppies. Also, it sounds like you plan to keep a lot of fish in the ten gallon. You need to be careful with overstocking, that can ruin the health and quality of your fish. Best of luck, I used to love raising guppies! :)

I found a really nice yellow cobra male guppy, and I put him in my five gallon with my 3 females so I would have babies. Of course the adults are going back to the ten right away, accept for the pregnant female. She is yellow too. :) I can't wait to see the fry. As soon as her fry are born, I will move her back to the adult tank.

absolutangel04 said:
Is only one of your females gravid so far?
Why did you put them all in the 5 gallon?

Since I have only 3 females and 5 males right now, I put only one male with the three females in the five gallon right now so the females don't get too tresses from all the males I have in my bigger tank. I think two of them are pregnant now... im not sure though. I also wanted to only selective breed for now... my mom doesnt want a bunch of babies. Also, keeping the females separated in the past gave me choice and control. But now that they have been with a male, there will be babies for a while.

maxwellag said:
Since I have only 3 females and 5 males right now, I put only one male with the three females in the five gallon right now so the females don't get too tresses from all the males I have in my bigger tank. I think two of them are pregnant now... im not sure though. I also wanted to only selective breed for now... my mom doesnt want a bunch of babies. Also, keeping the females separated in the past gave me choice and control. But now that they have been with a male, there will be babies for a while.

They were all likely pregnant when you got them some it might take a few drops to get the fry you are after.

jetajockey said:
They were all likely pregnant when you got them some it might take a few drops to get the fry you are after.

The yellow female or the red female could be pregnant from the yellow cobra from another time, when they were in the bag on their way home from the pet store. But I don't really care when they got pregnant. But if the yellow female didn't get pregnant from when they were in the bag, she could be pregnant from a different fish at the pet store.

I leave the fry with the adults, that way some fry will get eaten Becuz if some don't then I'll have a ton of guppies....I know it's mean but my tank cannot support that much guppies

Back
Top Bottom