Breeding Guppies in Apartment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettabutterfly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

I just bought some half black yellow guppies off Aquabid, and was hoping breed to improve/continue the strain. I will have 4 pairs total. However, space constraints in a one bedroom apartment is an issue to have more than just one 10 gallon tank. I know many breeders have several 10 gallon tanks.

Does anyone know of a good way to save space and be able to keep enough small (preferably cheep) breeding tanks/containers in order to keep the strain?

I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

bettabutterfly

depends on how big a tnk you can have can always buy a 20 gallon or bigger and section it off with dividers making sure not to leave gaps so babies can't get through could section off a 20 into quarter sections for guppies. next option be having small breeder boxes that are descent an big enough to raise then to almost adulthood. could also get a double stand for 2 tanks an section them off top tank your breeding pairs bottom sectioned off for different aged babies.

Hi all! I just bought some half black yellow guppies off Aquabid, and was hoping breed to improve/continue the strain. I will have 4 pairs total. However, space constraints in a one bedroom apartment is an issue to have more than just one 10 gallon tank. I know many breeders have several 10 gallon tanks. Does anyone know of a good way to save space and be able to keep enough small (preferably cheep) breeding tanks/containers in order to keep the strain? I am open to any suggestions! Thanks! bettabutterfly

You could look into custom builds. Gives you the ability to customize the dimensions to fit into smaller spaces, with larger volumes. I am in the same situation. I have a 3G aquaponics set up that sits on a side table in the living room for fry before they can be in the main tank, and then a 10g in the living room on a wall shelf with the breeding pairs of guppies.

Best advice is to just get creative.

Hi all! I just bought some half black yellow guppies off Aquabid, and was hoping breed to improve/continue the strain. I will have 4 pairs total. However, space constraints in a one bedroom apartment is an issue to have more than just one 10 gallon tank. I know many breeders have several 10 gallon tanks. Does anyone know of a good way to save space and be able to keep enough small (preferably cheep) breeding tanks/containers in order to keep the strain? I am open to any suggestions! Thanks! bettabutterfly

This is our one bedroom apt, living room set up.

Super idea to put up a shelving unit! How do you make sure it is strong enough, and not going to fall? That would be my only concern.

Super idea to put up a shelving unit! How do you make sure it is strong enough, and not going to fall? That would be my only concern.

Be sure that the support is sufficient and that the screws are in a stud. I used the heavy duty L supports that would be used in a garage or something. They are made of metal, not plastic. And the shelf is solid wood. That being said, I wouldn't do anything bigger than a 10g on the wall like that. Especially since a 10g can weigh as much as 150lbs.

If your comfortable putting one tank up that way on the wall ( dont think I would) then why not more. Even smaller ones. Maybe a 5 gallon under the 10 on another shelf for your fry

If your comfortable putting one tank up that way on the wall ( dont think I would) then why not more. Even smaller ones. Maybe a 5 gallon under the 10 on another shelf for your fry

I meant that I wouldn't put a larger tank on the wall. Any more than 10g is too heavy. But yes, you could do multiple tanks that way.

Back
Top Bottom