Breeding guppies, would enjoy some help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm gonna hit the haystack and check your answers tomorrow! Don't worry about typing too much or leaving too many comments! Any ideas you come up with to help the guppies will be seriously considered! And if you'd like, I could give you some of the offspring, since you're helping me so much! I will be back on here at around the same time tomorrow! Try to sign on too (anytime from 7:00-11:00, the time zone I'm in) ((it's almost midnight over here, (just in case you're in another time zone) you might have to do some math to figure out the times!)) talk to you guys tomorrow! I will update on my tanks status as well, so leave a list of things that you'd like to know about my tank!

I'm sure it's a common pleco, I was told I have to find another tank for him when he gets too big (my grandma is the bigger tank at the moment unless I manage to squeeze another tank in here) ...so they're called corys? I think mine wants to be alone, I picked him out at the pet store because he was being very solitary in the corner away from the other ones. Now I'm off to sleep and might have time in the morning to check back on here again! Ta ta for now!! ^^

Here is a pic of my current tank! And my fish! Any opinions? ^^

View attachment 78129

My darker female is being pestered by my male

View attachment 78130

View attachment 78131

View attachment 78132

The female looks like its lost the gravid spot! Is this the thing where the gravid spot gets lighter in the morning, or has my guppy already popped and there's no chance of getting any babies on account of they were probly eaten by the other fish??! Ir am I just freaking out and she just had a "phantom" gravid spot? She hasn't lost any weight, but she never really had any weight to begin with...is something wrong with my guppy?(not just the last thing, but with anything in the whole paragraph) I realize that she might only have 1-5 guppies for her first birth (and may already have dropped them) please someone help!!!

Guppy breeding is pretty easy pick up a breeder box from your lps if your worried about them ( the fry or baby fish) getting eaten this will float around the tank and keep them safe u put her in it just before she pops and take her out after. Feed the babies crushed flakes into like powder. my girlfriend has been breeding moles and muppies ( a Molly guppy hybrid) in her 10 gallon the male guppy breeds with everything in there platys mollies guppys all these are the same genus so they can all inter breed. An interesting bit of info mollies spend 90% of their lives pregnant given there are males around wow right. Anyways long story short the breeder box is unnessesary if u have alot of fake and real plants for the babies to hide and keep ur fish well fed so they don't even bother chasing them down the best plants I have found are the ones with cup shaped foliage where the babies like to sit. My girlfriend rarely has lost a fry thus far without the breeder box we have one but don't use it. Pretty soon you will have more fish than u know what to do with. We usually can tell when the Mollie is about to drop some fry when she begins swimming up and down in the corner of the tank looking to get away from the other fish at this point u can seperate your guppies when u observe this behavior and put them in the breeder.Good luck

Mike and Michelle aquarium crazy

I plan on using the hob hang on tank, as this will separate the guppies and the fry while keeping them in the same water. I will be starting a new thread with info on my findings about the pregnant guppies and info ive learned. I will be using some info from this thread actually! I would like it I you followed my to-be thread, it will be called "my guppies pregnancy" for lack of a better name ^^ oh! And I am proud to announce that my females gravid spot has returned and has darkened again! Yay!!! ?☺??

Here is another forum and another way a guy used to breed guppies

Easy breeding tanks

I have also seen a guy only had one heater so what he did was he put the jars in the tank so that the fry would be in a warm tank and so also he would have many jars in the tank

I like the jar idea, but what about the other inhabitants? I have a pleco, a cory, and three neon tetras. Won't the jars inside overcrowd the tank? And one more thing, is there such thing as a pump that moves the water back and forth between two aquariums? And if not, can you think of a better DIY plan than changing it yourself?

Hey!!! Would this little thing be a good replacement for the jars? I got a goldfish in it last year (that's how I got started on fish) and it is maybe a half gallon thing! I put nail polish next to it so you can tell the size of it ^^

View attachment 78250

I just had guppy fry born a couple hrs ago. I use a breeder net. It attaches to the side of the tank and floats at water level. I emded up with 9 fry that i can tell. I just took her out and put her with the rest. I like it because i dont have to worry about matching the water.

This isto show the size in comparison to my 20 gallon tank. Ill try to get better pictures.

ForumRunner_20120221_235754.jpg

This is the side of the breeder net attached to the tank it is made that it attaches but the top is at water level. It was $5.00 at petsmart and comes with 4 plants you can hook to the sides and adjust the height.
ForumRunner_20120222_000936.jpg

These are my fry! I dont knoe if you will be able to see them but there are about 6 huddled in the corner.
ForumRunner_20120222_001016.jpg

This is mama resting.
ForumRunner_20120222_001040.jpg

I dont know if this is dad or not since she was probably pregnant before i got her.
ForumRunner_20120222_001144.jpg

Yes a breeder basket is perfect just like a breeder box floats at water level in your tank so no water matching and Congrats! right now Michelle and I have 8 fry we have a breeder box but they do just fine with the tank very well planted and lots of places to hide so the box gets no use as I said if u keep the fish well fed and the tank well planted they are usually fine hope u have much success

Mike and Michelle aquarium crazy

Brittany f. I can see what you mean by floating thing!!! Thank you! Will this work as a birthing box? My females chest is poofed out like she's sucked in a bunch of air and is holding her breath! Is she likely to give birth soon? How soon? I have eight hours of school ahead of me! If she pops the babies will die!!!

Maybe birthing tank:

View attachment 78318

My current fish tank:

View attachment 78319

My females chest is poofed out and she has a little red spot on her back end! Should I put her in the thing just in case? (I will have the whole setup in the water) help me!!!

Oh wait never mind about the little red spot...she was just pooping...I feed her red food, you know? But the poop usually comes out a light brown, is something wrong?

My effort to catch her on camera:

View attachment 78320

I know it's blurry! The male has been bothering her, as you can see! Please tell me anything you can!!! I need help!!!!!

Btw, the male is the orange one and the female has a clear-ish body and a darker tail, and the tail shines blue in the light! ^^ jut thought I'd point it out ^^

I am a guppy breeder myself and have successfully bred guppies and had mor than 50 babies in one batch. If you are serious about breeding let me know but if this is just a fun hobby the fish will breed by themselves and usually don't need to be encouraged. You can see babies from any when between 26 to 48 days depending on how pregnant the female is and if you guppi looks like its going to explode and her tummy looks like a box she should be giving birth soon. Any more questions just ask!

I'm debating on wether or not for I to be a hobby or a serious thing actually, but for now it'll be a hobby. I'm only 15, so I have plenty of time ^^

Before she gave birth she started staying near the heater and resting on the bottom. Hours before maybe a day before, she started breathing heavy. I was worried i wouldnt know but i definately did.

Back
Top Bottom